DC-5 Sound test - Metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOak

Reaction score
I've owned a DC-5 for a week now, and I'm super happy! Since it isn't any good metal sound demos of this amp out there I uploaded one. One take, sloppy playing and phone camera. But it sounds pretty good :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O--Uj9rHV2A

Hi nice to listen "the shortest straw" riffs! Your dc has original mesa preamp tubes?
On my Dc, in these days, I realized that V1v2v3 are sovteks (unknown 12ax7 models) and v3v4v5 are mesa (I thought it was the opposite, but v1 should be the one closest to the jack input).
They give to the lead channel a great amount of gain... but your seems to have much more gain than my DC5 on lead channel at 6.
I'm sorry for my english! :oops:

Yeah, my tubes are stock!
The thing is, you mostly control the gain through the treble knob.
Try set treble to 8-9 and gain to ~6. Also, the graphic EQ does affect how you experience the gain. I set it like a V and slowly slides up the mid control until I'm happy.

In fact, I can push out more gain in the DC-5 then my Recto... :shock:

I actually tried your suggestion: the treble pot on 8/9 has a great influence on the gain (with V setted EQ)! :)
In my DC happens a very strange condition: the rhythm channel with gain at 2 and without pulling become crunchy and like and saturated overdrive and pulling with gain at 7/8 comes out an heavy distortion: actually my DC is like having almost two lead channels!!
This is currently unexplained! :shock:

Hi, been playing my DC-5 (head) for years now and love it. I WOULD like more gain out of it though. I understand that the way the 'gain structure' of Boogie's work, if you keep low's low, mids fairly high, and high's high (and then set your 'output' tone with the graphic) you can get more gain... But I want more lol...

I use fairly high-gain pickups (SD Hotrails in my Strats, custom Rockfields in my OLP), so thinking abt driving some more gain into the input by way of... I would say OD or Dist Pedal, but I have a rack system. I've got a Rocktron Prophesy II that I could add virtually any amt of gain little by little.

I need a little help here though as I've never used an OD or Dist INTO an already 'dirty' channel.

I do hear y'all about the tubes, and might hit ya back for more info on that, but for right now, want to stick with what I already have and looking for any and all advice before I do it.... I'm all ears lol... Suggestions, comments, or completely different ideas totally welcome...

Madmax

P.S. Bottle Rocket ---- yours sounds much more distorted than mine... What kind of pickups and what are your settings??? Am I hearing right that those are the stock tubes?

Sans_titre_2.jpg

To get more gain, you have to change the value to 220k/250k of the 0.5w 150k on the voltage divider witch bleed to ground, it is located on Pin 2 V2 (just following the 330k ) voltage divider is the resistor star trio 470k from V1 pin 6 150k to ground and 330k from V2 pin 2.

:wink:

BlackBoxy said:
Sans_titre_2.jpg

To get more gain, you have to change the value to 220k/250k of the 0.5w 150k on the voltage divider witch bleed to ground, it is located on Pin 2 V2 (just following the 330k ) voltage divider is the resistor star trio 470k from V1 pin 6 150k to ground and 330k from V2 pin 2.

:wink:

NICE!

Latest posts

Back