DC-3 with Mercury Magnetics Transformer set + Choke

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
:D I put the full set of MM transformers in my DC-3 yesterday. :D

Choke 1st - This warmed up the tone a lot and took the shrill edges off of the distortion channel. It also made the distortion (gain on 10) much creamier!

Output Transformer - I used the standard DC-3 Fat Stack. I usually have them make something for me or use something that they already make for a different amp to get the characteristics I'm looking for in a certain amp.
I'm very pleased to say that the Fat Stack sounds well......FAT!

The cleans are much warmer now. I use the channel like this:
Master - 9
Treble - 5-6
Middle - 5-6
Bass - 5-6
Presence - 4-8 (depending on the guitar)
Reverb - 3-4
Gain - 2-4
The cleans are very warm and articulate. If they are too dark, I just roll up the Presence a little. Lots of sustain too!

Distortion channel has much more sustain and crunch now. The crunch is smoother and less raspy, much more refined sounding. I used to love the DC's for their raw tone, but this is really sweet!
Master - 3
Treble - 6-7
Middle - 6-7
Bass - 6-7
Presence - 4-6
Reverb - 0
Gain - 10 (will go higher soon!)

Power Transformer - This is really the icing on the cake! I always install the PT last just because I want to test the amp between changes and see what the results are. The new PT really smooths everything out and makes the whole amp just run cleaner. There is a lot more bass thump and high end sparkle now!
I had to drill 2 new mounting holes though. The MM power transformer is just slightly larger than the original. Not really a big deal since I had to drill 2 mounting holes for the choke anyway.

It's really unfortunate that these amps didn't come with a Choke. I realize that this was a cost cutting measure, but I really think they would have sold so many more of them if they sounded like mine did after just installing a simple part. I know that I'm talking about a $40 Mercury Magnetics choke, but I'm positive that they weren't paying very much for Schumacher chokes back then. Probably around $5-10. When I look at the board layout and the fact that there are 6 resistors meticulously placed on the board instead of a choke, I can't help but think that they only saved $20 or so per amp in installation and materials.

I'll try to post some pics right after Christmas. This will help anyone else looking at installing a choke, it's really simple if you know where to place the wires and what resistors to remove.

Glad to hear your DC-3 is jamming!

You've confirmed my desire to upgrade the power transformer. :lol: I'm also interested in putting a negative feedback pot on the amp.

talltxguy said:
Glad to hear your DC-3 is jamming!

You've confirmed my desire to upgrade the power transformer. :lol: I'm also interested in putting a negative feedback pot on the amp.

I think you will be very happy with the MM power transformer.
I usually remove the plug for the PT from the circuit board and solder the wires directly to the board. I figure this is the best way to never have a problem with it!
Plus, you can't see the underside of the board to make sure you're not over heating the pins when you solder the wires to them.

You could easily put an NFB pot in the place where the Mix is now.
I like to just have 2 or 3 settings for NFB on a switch.
:shock: As you decrease the NFB, the am will get louder and louder and LOUDER! :shock:

i do also have a dc3 monsta modded . . .KILLER!! (actually, what amp that he mod that doesnt sound good???).

it's a rather different beast than the stock (which i also have one and love to death).

Andy is one of those guys that have a gold touch (hey, you know what touch im talking about!! :mrgreen: ). if he offer me an amp, i dont even blink, buy it in a second (if i have the plata at the moment, of course). it's like buying a Porsche or Ferrari, you'll NEVER regret. it's THAT good, simply put.

speaking about that . . Andy, that mkV . . .well, you know :wink:

Latest posts

Back