DC-5 Tube Question....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beauregard said:
Anyone see any problems with my replacing the STR-440's with STR-425 5881's on my DC-5 head?

6l6gc aren't 5881 !

5881/6L6WGB
This tube was first developed by TungSol for the US Military. They are in short stubby glass envelopes. There is no difference between the 6L6WGB or the 5881, they are the same tube. The 5881 has a maximum plate rating of 360 volts at 23 watts and a maximum screen rating of 270 volts at 3 watts. DO NOT USE IN AMPS CALLING FOR 6L6GC's. They will likely melt down and damage your amp.

6L6GC
The 6L6GC is the latest version of the 6L6 tube. This version has a 30 watt plate dissipation, 500V plate rating and 450V 5watt screen rating. If your amplifier calls for this tube, you probably CANNOT use some of the earlier 6L6 tubes as they are not rated this high. CHECK YOUR AMP'S VOLTAGES! BE CAREFUL!

your dc5 will drive your 5881 very hot , and maybe burn it in a evil fire :lol: :lol:

BlackBoxy said:
Beauregard said:
Anyone see any problems with my replacing the STR-440's with STR-425 5881's on my DC-5 head?

6l6gc aren't 5881 !

5881/6L6WGB
This tube was first developed by TungSol for the US Military. They are in short stubby glass envelopes. There is no difference between the 6L6WGB or the 5881, they are the same tube. The 5881 has a maximum plate rating of 360 volts at 23 watts and a maximum screen rating of 270 volts at 3 watts. DO NOT USE IN AMPS CALLING FOR 6L6GC's. They will likely melt down and damage your amp.

6L6GC
The 6L6GC is the latest version of the 6L6 tube. This version has a 30 watt plate dissipation, 500V plate rating and 450V 5watt screen rating. If your amplifier calls for this tube, you probably CANNOT use some of the earlier 6L6 tubes as they are not rated this high. CHECK YOUR AMP'S VOLTAGES! BE CAREFUL!

your dc5 will drive your 5881 very hot , and maybe burn it in a evil fire :lol: :lol:

Huh. It seems to work for this dude. I'll call Marcus tomorrow (Monday) and report back.

fusguitar said:
The used DC-5 which i bought recently come with Groove Tubes GT6L6R installed from the previous owner.
Very good tubes i have to say.

But ? have some Mesa 5881/6L6 STR 425 (yellow stick.) which are spare/used tubes from a 50/50 power amp and i tried them.
Man, let me tell you that the tone was smoother with sweet highs but also tighter and no lack of gain.
Just perfect for my jazz/fusion style.
I don' know why but i felt that they was the right tubes for the amp.

http://www.tungsol.com/tungsol/specs/5881-tung-sol.pdf

http://www.tungsol.com/tungsol/specs/6l6gcstr-tung-sol.pdf

5881 are military spec of 6l6, not the same specifications as 6l6gc needed in a DC5!

now it works, how long???

I just got off the phone with Marcus at MESA/Boogie:

"If it's a MESA branded 5881 it has been tested for your amp's bias and can be used as a direct replacement in the DC5."

well it seems that mesa str 425 aren't same as usual 5881, they seems to up specifications to the best!

so when you'll change it be carefull about buying mesa ones,; and not ordinary 6l6/5881

Latest posts

Back