Can Hammond hang with Mercury Magnetics?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
Well I'll be getting my DC-3 back soon. My local Boogie tech gave me a good deal on a Hammond OT and Hammond choke that he had, so I'm hoping I made the right choice by going with Hammond over Mercury. The Hammond components ended up being about 60% cheaper than the Mercury components. And unlike the DC-3 Mercury OT, the Hammond OT offers a 16 ohm tap, which is something that I've always disliked about the DC-3.

Anybody use Hammond in their Boogies?

The tech emailed a pic of the stock DC-3 OT next to the Hammond...Wow! The Hammond is twice as big! I can't wait to hear the cleans. The tech is also gonna do some clean channel mods to improve high end sparkle.

I don't know much about the hammond brand, but as I understand the DC3 comes with no choke, so it will be choke vs resistor and that's a great change for the low end and dynamics in any amp.

Cheers

I got the amp back from the tech yesterday and am more than happy with the way it sounds. No subtle changes on the clean channel; the change is quite obvious and dramatic. 8)

I had a Blues Junior a few years back. Like my DC-3, it's got EL-84's. And it's clean channel was nice although a bit too glassy for my tastes. This new & improved DC-3 channel is not glassy but it sparkles. I don't know enough about Fenders to compare it to a particular Fender model.

I'll get some pics of the Hammond stuff up soon.

Latest posts

Back