DC-5 Rev B New User Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a DC-5 Rev A brand new many years ago, never really appreciated it when I had it, then got out of music and sold it. Now back in and happy to have a DC-5 (Rev B) back again.

So here is a question that may be subjective, but I will give it a shot...

The amp that I am "used to" now since I started playing again 9 months ago is a Blackstar HT Club 40 1x12 combo which runs EL34s. I thought the amp was a little dead, and although not an effects guy, started running a TC Electronic Spark booster with as a clean/treble boost which really opened the amp up, especially on the clean channel. It's always on, and it pushes the dirty channel as well.

The DC-5's clean channel is worlds better, with alot more sparkle, than the Club 40 - no booster needed. But after playing with the dirty channel for hours, I still cannot get an overdriven sound that is as pleasing to my ears as the Blackstar. The tone itself is pleasing, but I like to use alot of pinch harmonics, and on the DC-5 they feel harder to pull off, and come out sounding like more of an overdriven note than a bright harmonic.

Is what I describe here simply what folks refer to as the Mesa "fizzy" sound? Is this just how Could it be a factor of 6L6 v EL34s? Any suggestions on how I might get more of a "vintage" sound without modifications?

If you're sure you don't wanna mod the amp, I think the best way to help with pinch harmonics is lower the gain in the amp and put an OD in front of it, the MXR ZW44 helps with pinch harmonics in any amp .

Played around for another hour or so, straight into both amps, and with the TC Spark set for some gain on both. Same results, comparable - the Blackstar gets alot more of the harmonics. It sounds closer to the Boogie with the OD channel voicing switch in (low power amp damping).

The Spark doesn't add alot of gain, but it didn't do much for the DC-5. On the fence...love the clean channel, but I am not in love with the dirty one.

Maybe I need a re-tube? I don't see any sparking when switching from standby to on though.

FYI A-B'd this against a new Express Plus 5:25 and 5:50 @ my local GC; took back the DC-5 it is just too much amp for what I need, sounded much better at earsplitting levels but most of my playing is low volume.

I am in love with the Express Plus 5:25 on the 5-watt setting, has all of the dynamics I was missing. Got some nice low/mid gain sounds with it too.

Thanks for your input.

How odd I have a dc5 and I am running ec83 in preamp tube all holes the jj brand, and jj 6l6's with a boss super overdrive , I will say I wasnot over impressed till the super overdrive unless I was using emg's, but here is the big thing it has been moded by monstatone get in touch with him I promise you will love the dc5 afterwards

You said you like the black star that is more Marshall sound and a mesa is a lot different, I have a mp1 for my hot rod Marshall sounds but I love the dc5 sustain for days

Thanks for the additional info. I am not super technical, but I think the reasons why the DC-5 didn't work for me came down to wattage and the way the gain channel worked.

The Express Plus 5:25 I returned it for nails the dirty sound I want perfectly - burn mode with gain around 10:30 - especially on the 5 and 15 watt settings. Maybe it's Class A vs AB and the lower wattage, but there is significantly more dynamic range which is what I was looking for. Pinch harmonics come off easy and sound great.

The DC was a great amp, but just not for me at this stage.

Yep I was not not super crazy about my DC 5 with out eng pickups at first but the od took it where I wanted to go my favorite set up is Jackson dinky into od to dc5

Back