Anyway/Mod to tame the volume difference in DC-5A channels?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maynardo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm usually having to use bass, treble and mid controls under 20% in the knobs, otherwise clean channel is waaaaay louder than lead side, even when master in the lead is dimed.

I do have to say I don't like super pristine almost SS cleans, I like them a little dirty.

I have looked at the schematics and can't really find the reason, lead should be louder . So to the point, anyone found a way/mod to change this?

Cheers

I am figuring you are probably using the graphic EQ for both channels? That would be one easy way around it, assigning the EQ only to the Lead channel and boosting it.

I just talked to a couple of guys who own DC-5Bs and aparently in the B version is the other way around, lead kills clean volume wise :roll:

Ok, so I finally managed to get to the first 470k grid resistor and took it out, that help me a lot with the volume problem and got the amp even gainier in the lead channel, I think a lost a bit of the dynamics... but I have I have to try further, I'll leave it like this for a While, if I'm not happy I'll put something like a 2M in there

I will have to see where my amp is at between the channels. But I am thinking that the Clean is louder on my DC-10. A lot of multi channel amps have this topology and behavior. Less gain stages in the Clean channel as well as less interstage attenuation = more dynamics, less compression and a bigger AC audio signal swing.

Where abouts are your Gain and Volume(s) settings for each channel?

I usually had the master and presence dimed in the lead channel, treble, bass, mid somewhere around 3 to 6, trble always higher than the rest, gain from 7 to 9, in the clean channel gain 4 , trble,mid,bass 2 or less and master 3 to 5 depending.

Volume wise the problem got solved when I removed the 470k resistor, but for some reason the bass got a bit looser, kinda lost what I had gained in that department with the removing of the 1k5 || to the choke, at some point I will re open the amp and get back to the 470k or play with higher values.

Latest posts

Back