Recapping 1994 DC5..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBoxy

Reaction score
changed the 30uf 450v by F&t 47uf 550v and the 220uf 300v by spragues 220uf 350v, this brough this amp to life, i can minus every controls now "treb mid bass gain etc.." by 2, ex: same gain at 6 when needed 8 before ! but the most improving was sustain and harmonics in the good way :p
i'd like to thx monsta tone for his mod's hints which helped to open this amp more ..

hope this will help dc 5 owners of 18 years old gear to makes upgrade of this great amp!

regard

Improving the filter caps (more Farads) gave you more gain?????... you sure about this?, from what I know it should've improve/changed the pick dynamics and bass response of the amp, but gain?

Please tell us more

Maynardo said:
Improving the filter caps (more Farads) gave you more gain?????... you sure about this?, from what I know it should've improve/changed the pick dynamics and bass response of the amp, but gain?

Please tell us more

i don't think so, adding 17uf wasn't my purpose, i had those caps, so it can't be bad to tame ripples anyway..

tubes amps are running hot, and beleive it or now electrolytics drys (espacially fter 18 years) , reducing harmonics voicing , tone hasn't changed but over all it makes pots more effective, a real improvment for gain too, as power seems back, gain pot need less to starve OD tubes!

Interesting.. I have a DC5A, don't have any idea when it was made, but being the 'A' version I'm guessing first half of the 90's :roll: don't have any hum tho and caps when last saw them didn't have any bubbles, how did you know the recap was needed?

BTW you didn't try to mess with the 1k5 resistor in parallel with the choke right?. I'm still curious about that thing and haven't found the time to see if taking it off changes something

Maynardo said:
Interesting.. I have a DC5A, don't have any idea when it was made, but being the 'A' version I'm guessing first half of the 90's :roll: don't have any hum tho and caps when last saw them didn't have any bubbles, how did you know the recap was needed?

BTW you didn't try to mess with the 1k5 resistor in parallel with the choke right?. I'm still curious about that thing and haven't found the time to see if taking it off changes something

its a DC5A too, don't want to change the tone, i knew it was dead when i needed to push on controls, and sound became flat , as the eq caps seems effective i didn't change those ones (220uf 63v), just the 3 30uf and the 2 220uf, it was enough! all new ones are larger cans, so if you don't know a lil about electronics, let your tech put his hands into!

regards

Back