DC-5 but which kind of 4x12 cabinet is the best?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe web

Reaction score
the title says it all.

which kind of 4x12 cabinet are you guys recommending for the DC-5 head?
we are make some kind of 80s style metal or old school metal with a modern character to it.
at the moment i´m using a good old marshall 1982A cabinet with celestion G12-H80 speakers. they are great sounding cabinets for metal-style music, as long as you use them with a marshall amp, or a recto head, but the more focused mid-range of the DC-5 doesn´t go that well with this cabinet.
so i´m thinking about a Mesa Recto Std. or the Traditional/Stiletto cabinet.

does anybody of you guys use one of those cabinets? and how is the result?
what would you recommend? Std. or Traditional?
thanks for your input!

The Recto Std/Oversized might be a tad bit too much on the bas side for 80s hair shred....
The Recto Traditional/Stiletto is the way to go imho (I use it myself with a Triaxis/2:90 rig for the same type of music).
Other cabs I´d recommend are the Hughes&Kettner Statesman 4x12, the Marshall 1960AV or the Marshall 1960DM....Anything with Vintage 30s and "trad" specs works like a charm. Oversized or G12T75 is not my cup of tea....

On the other hand...if you can find a 80s/90s 2x12 Vertical Halfback....yummie, that´s the way to go 8) 8)

Just my 2 €-cents

just a quick report...i tried one of my old marshall cabs (1935A Bass) fitted with G12-65s "444" cone - i´m impressed, they sound awesome with the DC-5.
nice tight low-end and a soft top-end, way better as with the 1982A Marshall with G12-H80 speakers.
the 1960AV marshall sounded thin against the other cabs i have, i think i´ll go with the 1935A for a while.

yesterday i picked up a Mesa 4x12 Recto std. (the old slanted straight style) in mint condition.
did a quick test and now i know, why everybody loves mesa cabs.
couldn´t imagine, that those cabs sound that awesome and huge.
i can turn up the bass knob on the lead channel much more now, without getting a flubby sound, the mids are well balanced and the top-end i just how i like it.
great cabinet!
now my G12-65 and my G12-H80 marshall cabs are for sale. i´ll just keep my V30/T75 mixed marshall cab and the mesa recto cab.

I know this is a little late. But wanted to post anyway. I had a recto cab for a long time with my DC5. I sold it because after a while I was sick of the "boomy" characteristic of the oversized cab. It wasn't for me. I've been using a Marshall 1960A and love it. I definitely prefer the traditional sized cabinets for one.

Latest posts

Back