Mesa DC-3 original speaker, and dating a combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pureanalog

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I got my hands on a used DC-3 and I was wondering what the original speaker in it is.

It has no label, but it is black and it has fairly large magnet.

Any guesses on why it is label-less and what it could be? Any way I can date this amp?

Yes, you may date her, but treat her with respect, young man!
But all seriousness aside, pics would help.
It's probably a 50 watt Black Shadow made by Eminence.

I'll try to make a couple of pics.

Amazing hi-gain with this amp cranked, but with the gain up the map has no dynamics-cleanup at all with the guitar volume knob. I was a bit dissapointed by that.

pureanalog said:

Amazing hi-gain with this amp cranked, but with the gain up the map has no dynamics-cleanup at all with the guitar volume knob. I was a bit dissapointed by that.

The lead channel isn't meant for clean. You can get a dirty clean with the volume knob, but all of the clean tones are found on the Rhythm channel. I get great cleans out of my DC3. It might be a little honky a first, but fiddling with the knobs smooths that out.

Of course, mine is a late 99' and has a V30 Celestion in it.

bendo said:
pureanalog said:

The lead channel isn't meant for clean. You can get a dirty clean with the volume knob, but all of the clean tones are found on the Rhythm channel. I get great cleans out of my DC3. It might be a little honky a first, but fiddling with the knobs smooths that out.

I am not referring to clean-cleans. I am referring to semi-dirty tones that are just part of dynamic playing in rock music. Sometimes during a solo or a song I want to take the edge away and play a bit less gain. The thing that goes on with most tube amps.

By the way will the DC-3 blow a 30w speaker?

Why is my speaker unlabeled. Did they come stock that way?

pureanalog said:
bendo said:
pureanalog said:

I am not referring to clean-cleans. I am referring to semi-dirty tones that are just part of dynamic playing in rock music. Sometimes during a solo or a song I want to take the edge away and play a bit less gain. The thing that goes on with most tube amps.

By the way will the DC-3 blow a 30w speaker?

Why is my speaker unlabeled. Did they come stock that way?

I understand what you are after. I have no issue with rolling off the volume when on Lead for a pushed blues/classic rock tone, then run it up for solo sustains. So you may have something else going on. Where is your gain set to? The Treble and Mid controls are also wired into the gain circuit, so having those run up will add more gain. Also, are you using the EQ, and what's your slope?

I have spent the last few weeks getting all of the songs down off of the last Foo Fighter's album for some upcoming shows, and I have been using my DC3 (I also have a Roadster 2x12 stack) exclusively to cover ALL tones needed. That should tell you a little about what the DC can so. A little TS808 for some extra push when needed. Quite frequently I am playing slight distortion when covering some of these songs (These Days, Walk, etc..), and my DC3 is nailing it perfect for me, just roll the volume to the guitar down to 3-5 depending on how clean I want it.

I play PRS CE24 and Cu24 US models. 2 Humbukers, 2 volume, 3-way, no tone control. Though this is NOT PRS standard. I like my **** wired up my own way.

You also have to run the Master and Gain back down when cranking the Output Level. For instance, when the output is 1.5-2 I can get away with the gain around 5-6, once I start rolling past 3-9 I have to back the gain and Master down to compensate to for the increased output, and the affect that has on the speaker and breakup there.

No, they all come with a label on the back. The chassis of the speaker should have some #s or other identifying marks that may make it easier to figure out what it is.

The V30 is a 60watt speaker. Yes, a DC3 can blow a 30 watt speaker. It is a 35 watt amp.

Also, there are some great tones to be had out of the clean channel with the gain ran up a bit. I generally run my Clean channel to the point of light break up, and then use my pick attack to control the intensity. Light pick, nice rolling reverb clean, dig and and a nice vibe spins itself out. If I roll the volume down, I get a great sparkly clean with a full lush reverb effect.

Interesting feedback. Thank you.

I am also playing covers as well. I am planning to use the DC-3 for the first time live in a couple of weeks.

I set the mids around 4 and treble around 6. I don't use the post EQ. I keep it for lead boost. I use the gain on 8-10. Pretty high I admit.

I was used to amps such as the JVM which had great amounts of gain but at the same time it would clean up pretty well with rolling back the volume knob on the les paul. With the DC-3 I am stuck with either lack of dynamics or not enough gain. Maybe I am trying to substitute the british tone character with more gain... I don't know. I just haven't found how to properly use this amp yet.

I was thinking of using a G12h30 speaker in place of the eminence that I seem to have. But you say I could blow it and you are probably right.

Back