EL84's in a 50 caliber + ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyplant

Reaction score
I thought 50 caliber plus came with the volume , master and lead master knobs on the front , 6L6 power tubes AND one 8 ohm and two 4 ohm speaker outputs on back . A friend of mine says he has a 50 Caliber Plus with the volume , master and lead master knobs , EL84 power tubes and one 4ohm and one 8 ohm speaker out put . Did they do these this way ? An early one ? Would the 6l6 fit into an el84 socket ? Could he have the wrong tubes in ? Thanks for any info . I know what the manuals say ........

MichaelC4 said:
Early 50 Calibers had 4 EL84s instead of 2 6L6s.
i understand this , but the one i am talking about is a plus with 4 el84's , trying to find out this discrepancy . this one has plastic switches , too ........... and says 50 caliber plus on the front

No, EL-84s are not interchangeable with 6L6s.
EL-84 models are earlier than 6L6 models.
"Plus" means there is a separate Lead Master.

MrMarkIII said:
No, EL-84s are not interchangeable with 6L6s.
EL-84 models are earlier than 6L6 models.
"Plus" means there is a separate Lead Master.
But , does anybody have a 50 Caliber Plus with el84's? and only the two speaker out puts ?

Plastic rocker switches are most commonly on the .50 plus with 6L6. It is possible to have the original EL84 .50 caliber modded with a lead master using the space for the direct out pot (replacing that to be the lead master control). I have seen an EL84 .50 caliber with metal rocker switches and a lead master control on the front. I was a "long head" version, quite rare. This might be what your friend is referring to, it's the original, not the plus model though.

"+" symbol does not necessarily mean 6L6. Some "+" 's were made wEL84's.

Fxrs said:
"+" symbol does not necessarily mean 6L6. Some "+" 's were made wEL84's.
"+" doesn't mean 6L6 (or EL-84) at all.
And it does not mean that it has the Graphic EQ.
"Plus" means there is a separate Lead Master. That's all, folks!

I have an EL-84 .50 cal +. It has two speaker outs and no push/pull pot. Just a footswitch.

Latest posts

Back