50 Caliber with EL84 (6BQ5)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdennis

Reaction score
Under this link I commented about how great being close to Petaluma was AND the fact that my 6BQ5 .50 Caliber combo is plain incredible since George at Mesa Engineering has updated something and repaired other parts of this little amp.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60261&start=15

So I was wondering how many of us on this board currently own a 6BQ5 50 Caliber, what type of music you all play, and your thoughts on this ,ittle amp. Mine was originally finished in 10/1987. I use it for Country as well as Rock and Christian music, though I found a setting that is sweet for clean jazz.

Or if you once owned this amp any info would be great such as what you thought of it and why you no longer own it.

Anyway, I was just wondering

Dennis

I'll probably never get rid of mine.
I bought mine new in '87, and gigged it, recorded with it, but mostly irritated the neighbors with it.
I play metal, old rock like Rush, new punk, old punk, industrial, and occaisionally jazz. I really love the cleans, and overdriven power section, and I'm getting into rockabilly.

Try cranking the master up around 9 or 10, and turn the volume down to 3 or below and this amp comes alive!

I don't play it as often, since I got a Quad & 50/50, but it has a unique sound. I plan on giving it a tolex makeover, and building a matching thiele.

I have a 88 head with the EL84 Very nice quiet amp Had caps replaced a few years ago and new mix of tubes Did install a new Accutronics reverb tank externally as the reverb was poor or faint . The internal tank is a joke Improved it somewhat but still lacking The lead is another story Hard to dial in a good tone at low levels sounds flat not edgy and reverb is weird sounding The amps is great for cleans but not sure what to do with lead/gain Any mods or recommendation from fellow owners? Maybe Mesa should look at it?

I have an EL84 combo. I play 80s metal and classic rock with it. Great Amp! bought it used and it's been routinely serviced and well taken care of. Would never part with it!

I have the el84 head. I was wondering what these might be selling for these days, which led me to this forum. I bought it new in the late 80's and loved it ever since. I think it currently has a problem with fluctuating output level, and probably needs TLC, which I may not get around to.

Sounds like it could just use a set of power tubes. When was the last time there were changed?

I really like the re-issue Mullard's. Have a really nice and fat bottom end.

Latest posts

Back