'95 dc3 Volume Drop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amp sounds great when playin thru fx return,instead of the regular input,almost twice as loud.

Monsta-Tone said:
Does it happen in both channels?
I would look at preamp tubes.
Should be a tube chart in your manual that tells you what each tube does.
yes,both channels.tubes are good. thanks for the reply.

Then I would definitely try plugging a short patch cable from the Send to the Return.
The original circuit would not make much of a difference if the loop jacks are dirty.
You might have gotten one that has had the loop modified to series.

If this is the case, then all of the signal passes through a little switching mechanism on the Send jack.
A simple jumper with a patch cable might just take care of the problem.

I almost always replace the send jack with a Switchcraft 12A ( http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/moreinfo@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=W-SC-L12A )jack when I change the loop to series. That way I know this won't happen.

Other than that.....
Could be:
Dirty input jack
Dirty pots (output volume)
Loose pot housing (output volume)
LDR's not switching properly
Dirty tube socket (V1 through V5 if it works when you plug into the loop)
Bad solder connection on preamp board
Leaky coupling capacitor

Hope this helps, usually it's the loop or tubes.

Monsta-Tone said:
Then I would definitely try plugging a short patch cable from the Send to the Return.
The original circuit would not make much of a difference if the loop jacks are dirty.
You might have gotten one that has had the loop modified to series.

If this is the case, then all of the signal passes through a little switching mechanism on the Send jack.
A simple jumper with a patch cable might just take care of the problem.

I almost always replace the send jack with a Switchcraft 12A ( http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/moreinfo@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=W-SC-L12A )jack when I change the loop to series. That way I know this won't happen.

Other than that.....
Could be:
Dirty input jack
Dirty pots (output volume)
Loose pot housing (output volume)
LDR's not switching properly
Dirty tube socket (V1 through V5 if it works when you plug into the loop)
Bad solder connection on preamp board
Leaky coupling capacitor

Hope this helps, usually it's the loop or tubes.
had it since brand new ('96).Thank you very much for that list of other possible causes.

Might be dirty tube sockets.

Or....
Could be a bad solder connection on the circuit board that the EL-84 sockets are mounted to. The DC-3 gets really hot and this circuit board takes a hell of a beating. The board in mine is almost brown from the heat! I'm thinking about replacing it with chassis mounted sockets.

Mesa used this same board in the Maverick. The Mav's don't overheat as much because they have a fan in them.

Other than that, it's hard to say without seeing some gut shots or the actual amp. Could be a bad LDR or solder connection anywhere in the amp.

My bet is the dirty effects loop! Just answered a similar post with a DC-5. Been there and done this problem lol

I forgot to ask it the Loop was modded to Series! :shock:

If the loop is stock and still parallel, it is pretty rare that a jack will cause this.
If you do end up finding out that it's the loop, or if you change the loop to series, swap those crappy jacks out with some Switchcraft jacks.

To check if it's a bad loop jack, simply plug a short instrument cable from the Send to the Return. If this is your problem, then it should go away when you do this.

really apreciate all ya'lls comments.had a local music store send amp to a tech.i'll let ya know what the prob was.thanks again,really.

Latest posts

Back