Want to convert a combo to head: What's it take?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polaris20

Reaction score
I want to go to a head+2x12 closed back cab. I've come to love V30's, and the amp just sounds better for lower tuned stuff with a closed back cab. What do I need to in order to make this happen? Can I order a new headshell from Mesa? How much (approximately)? What about reverb?

Thanks!!

I'm about to do the same thing with my DC3, but I'm buildig the cabinet from scratch using 4 pieces of plywood cut to size and then either retolexing it or lacquer paint it to a see thru finish (even though plywood isn't as good looking as some exoctic wood stuff from the Mesa custom shop). I'll use long screws, handle and other parts from the original cabinet; I'm leaving out the reverb tank because I don't use it in my setup, and to cut out some weight. I might use some other material for the front grill cloth, but reuse the Mesa logo. I'm also planning to use the Black Shadow speaker in the combo to build a 2x12 stereo speaker cab with a second one (as soon as I'll get a second DC3 for my stereo setup).

To me it's going to be some real fun.

I did this with my Mark IV a couple of years ago. (which is the same size cab) I purchased a new head shell from Mesa. That set me back about $275.00. Be sure when you order the cab to have them include a mounting plate & mounting hardware for your reverb. The reverb hangs upside down through a cutout in the bottom of the headshell.

Other than that, just unplug everything, take out the screws and move the chassis into it's new home. Reconnect the reverb and speaker and start playing. (Be careful DON'T Touch anything inside the chassis! It has enough voltage to KILL you even when unplugged.)

FYI - If you like build projects, I took the EVM out of my combo and built a homemade Thiele style speaker cab. Well worth the effort. If you are looking for more low-end punch (like a 4x12) this will do it.

GD_NC said:
I did this with my Mark IV a couple of years ago. (which is the same size cab) I purchased a new head shell from Mesa. That set me back about $275.00. Be sure when you order the cab to have them include a mounting plate & mounting hardware for your reverb. The reverb hangs upside down through a cutout in the bottom of the headshell.

Other than that, just unplug everything, take out the screws and move the chassis into it's new home. Reconnect the reverb and speaker and start playing. (Be careful DON'T Touch anything inside the chassis! It has enough voltage to KILL you even when unplugged.)

FYI - If you like build projects, I took the EVM out of my combo and built a homemade Thiele style speaker cab. Well worth the effort. If you are looking for more low-end punch (like a 4x12) this will do it.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! $275 is definitely reasonable, and that sounds like a simple conversion. Not sure what route I'm going to go. Probably a 2x12 w/ a V30 for starters, but would love to track down an old EVM/Thiele at some point. Part of the reason I'm doing this is because I'd actually like to do different cabinets over time; the combo was fun for awhile, but becomes limiting.

Gerax; cool advice too, but it sounds like you're WAY handier than I! Be sure to post up pics when you're done. I'd love to see the results.

Will do; please, do the same when you'll be finished with your conversion.

Gerax said:
Will do; please, do the same when you'll be finished with your conversion.

I will, however I'm sure mine will be more run of the mill looking compared to yours. :D

Hello,

I have just arrived (new member). :)

I bought a new Mark IV a few years ago (combo). I have been looking for a solution related with tube rattle... and I would like to convert my combo to head.

Does anybody know if Mesa's technical support is solving that question? Is Mark V Head chassis compatible? Could I buy the head to convert it?

Thank you anyway!!

Back