replacement speaker for studio caliber... need help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalflo

Reaction score
i've planned to replace the stock speaker in my dc2. i've read good reviews about the celestion cannabis rex 8ohm speaker.

i mainly play blues/classic rock (hendrixy stuff, early savoy brown, zep...)

what was your replacement speaker and for what kind of music do you like it or not?

any comments or tipps appreciated

cheers

crguti said:
I thought that DC meant 'Dual Caliber'.
the "Studio Caliber" is the correct name of the DC2.When I had mine I used a Peavey Scorpion speaker,mainly becouse I cranked the amp to keep up with a very loud band.I remember it sounded fantastic with that amp.

I've had 3 different speakers in my DC-2 so far. I play mainly classic rock and some harde edged blues.

Eminence Private Jack....good sound, good upper mids, fairly balanced. I've used this speaker in several Mesa's and it worked well in all.
V-30....ehhh. That mid-spike thang! Took it out fairly quick.
G12T-75....this is what I have in there now. It's a little buzzy sounding when driven hard, but the cleans are just dynamite! It's OK for now.

My next one will be a WGS ET-65 I think. I tried out a DC-5 with one and it sounded really good. I've always wondered about those Rex's...let us know if you try one. :mrgreen:

i replaced the stock speaker with a c rex some time ago and really love the tone now. i'm playin with my cp 60s strat with custom69 pu's most of the time and imo the sound was too bright and sharp with the stock shadows. now i've got my smokey warm cleans and creamy lead sounds. it needed a few loud sessions for the speaker to break in but now it also sounds very good at lower volumes.

now i'm thinkin of a 2x12 closed back extension cab (for more bottom end, an overall fuller sound and a few db more)... maybe a palmer unloaded plus a c rex (oh yeah i love it) and a wizard (both 16ohm) and run it with the allready built in 8ohm c rex on the dc-2s two 4ohm outputs

merry xmas and groove on!

I replaced the stock eminence in my ss with a celestion g12h 8ohm a few years ago and love it. Great range of sounds on ch 1, ch 2 is an awesome lead tone and a java boost adds extra sparkle.

Back