Need help getting rid of noise in lead channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I haven't played my DC-10 head in a while until today. It still sounds great but the lead channel has a lot of noise when the guiltar is plugged in that I don't remember it having. It's worst when the guitar volume is not on full but still noisy all the way up. Very hissy with occasional crackles. I recorded about 45 seconds of it. Starts with guiltar volume on full, :06 turned down a little; :18 on full; 28 on full; :35 turned down a little.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10457950

I've already tried swapping preamp tubes, different guitars and cables. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

MJ Slaughter said:
I haven't played my DC-10 head in a while until today. It still sounds great but the lead channel has a lot of noise when the guiltar is plugged in that I don't remember it having. It's worst when the guitar volume is not on full but still noisy all the way up. Very hissy with occasional crackles. I recorded about 45 seconds of it. Starts with guiltar volume on full, :06 turned down a little; :18 on full; 28 on full; :35 turned down a little.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10457950

I've already tried swapping preamp tubes, different guitars and cables. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Only the lead channel? Noise might not be as easy to hear on the rhythm channel but still be there. At any rate if it wasnt there before and its sat I would be tempted to hit all the pots,jacks and such with contact cleaner. Any place there might be a bad contact including the FX loop. Bob

Thanks for the advise Bob. Last night I dug into it further cleaning pots, jacks and swapping preamp tubes again. Took some time but determined that there were 2 noisy preamp tubes. I was swapping just one at a time before but this time I replaced all that were part of the lead channel. Much better now.

Back