How can I run a GEQ with my DC-2 head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogalian

Reaction score
Recently bought a DC-2 head. Have been using a DC-3 combo and LOVE it. Have REALLY been enjoying the DC-2 head but had a couple questions. Any remedies for the extreme heat generated or is it a don't ask, don't tell issue? Also, I would like to have a GEQ, like the DC3, DC5 and DC10 have. Any reccomendations for pedals to get the same effect and also how you would run them, in front of the amp, in the fx loop, etc. BTW the loop has been modded to a serial loop.
Thanks !!!

Heat issues are pretty much like the DC3,It needs the bias modded to generate less heat and prolong tube life.As far as GEQ goes.You would most likely run it in the FX loop.You would probly need a EQ that handles a line level signal.(not completly sure on that tho)A lot of it would depend on how much FX send signal your sending(channel masters) to the loop.

I've been running my GE7 thru the effects loop on my DC-2 and it works pretty well. I think I'm having some issues with the loop however; so I moved it to the front end and it's sounding better right now. I'm hoping I've just got a weak tube there. The EQ sure makes a difference!! 8)

rocksalt7 said:
I've been running my GE7 thru the effects loop on my DC-2 and it works pretty well. I think I'm having some issues with the loop however; so I moved it to the front end and it's sounding better right now. I'm hoping I've just got a weak tube there. The EQ sure makes a difference!! 8)
clean your send a retrn jacks ,or replace them.

bhsbhswarp said:
Heat issues are pretty much like the DC3,It needs the bias modded to generate less heat and prolong tube life.As far as GEQ goes.You would most likely run it in the FX loop.You would probly need a EQ that handles a line level signal.(not completly sure on that tho)A lot of it would depend on how much FX send signal your sending(channel masters) to the loop.

Looking at the schematic it uses the same exact bias set up as the DC-3. A 470K resistor across the 120K should cool it down in the same manner. -11 bias voltage and 380 on the plates=HOT. My Boss GE7 stomp works well in my DC-3 FX loop. It has way more affect in the loop than out in front-way more. Bob

So...running the eq in the loop has MORE affect on the overall sound. How can you affect the tone being produced by the amp without affecting the other effects in the loop? For example, I am running an Eventide MF and TF in the loop, so the logical place for the EQ to be in the loop, for me that is, would be in front of the FX boxes right? OR does it even matter! EQ PRE FX boxes means shaped tone enters boxes, and goes out loop to cab, POST FX boxes, afffected or effected tone is then shaped by EQ and shipped to the cabs. I am guessing the latter would be more powerful but the first, PRE FX boxes sounds nore logical.? :?:
BTW does anyone have a link to a page for the bias mod being reffered to?
Awesome!! Thanks!

nogalian said:
So...running the eq in the loop has MORE affect on the overall sound. How can you affect the tone being produced by the amp without affecting the other effects in the loop? For example, I am running an Eventide MF and TF in the loop, so the logical place for the EQ to be in the loop, for me that is, would be in front of the FX boxes right? OR does it even matter! EQ PRE FX boxes means shaped tone enters boxes, and goes out loop to cab, POST FX boxes, afffected or effected tone is then shaped by EQ and shipped to the cabs. I am guessing the latter would be more powerful but the first, PRE FX boxes sounds nore logical.? :?:
BTW does anyone have a link to a page for the bias mod being reffered to?
Awesome!! Thanks!

I would try it both ways but think I would place the EQ last in the chain .

Disclaimer- Amps store high voltages even unplugged. If you are unsure about what you are doing and safety precautions its best left to qualified tech.

No link its a mod I came up with myself. It is simple and effective but you would need to know your way around a multimeter and work on a live amp to check the bias voltage. Its a 50 cent 470K resistor piggybacked on the 120K resistor in the bias supply. Check the negative bias voltage before installing it and after. Its not adjustable but should get the bias voltage down around -14.

If you need more detailed instructions and/or want to make it adjustable you can by a kit from Mansfield guitars for about 40$

Bob

Back