DC5 combo owners suggest an OD pedal for boost

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstringpsycho

Reaction score
I'm looking for an OD pedal to use as a boost. I'm playing mostly metal again and could use the bump. I'm leaning toward a Boss SD1 because they are affordable. Any suggestions? I'm open go anything

I can't find anything I like at this point,so I'm interested in any suggestions too.I've had the best luck or should I say like is the cheapo Eh LPB 1 power booster nano,but it's noisey as heck.

How much gain you guys need? This aint no Recto! lol! Bob

I just want something to tighten up the lows and boost my signal occasionally and do it with some transparency. I'm getting a great sound out of the amp I just want some boost for occasional nukeage lol. Any suggestions before I spend money? I'm thinking SD1?

Transparent? Dunno. I use a Seymour Duncan PU booster to bump up the gain. Seems transparent enough. I have a small pedal board and its mostly for EQ and boost.

In front-
Guitar > Tuner > Wah > GEQ > Seymour Duncan PU booster > amp

Loop-
send > GEQ > Ibanez DE7 delay> GEQ> return

This set up gives me maximum tonal flexability with any of my amps. Bob

My amp seems real picky about what goes in front of it.I have a Hardwire SC2 valve distortion that simply sounds like crap with this amp,but sounds great with my 5E3 amp.

bhsbhswarp said:
My amp seems real picky about what goes in front of it.I have a Hardwire SC2 valve distortion that simply sounds like crap with this amp,but sounds great with my 5E3 amp.

I like a clean boost. Have you tried a GEQ? Bob

For affordable (cheap) and transparent I highly recommend the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Low gain pedal that will get loud if you want and I think it pushes my DC's great. There are two versions, 1 and 2. v1 was pretty much a clone of the Timmy, so I hear, and v2 was modified slightly but I think it's still very good. I have the v1 and stole it new for $20 before v2 came out.

Or get a Boss GEQ.

MJ Slaughter said:
For affordable (cheap) and transparent I highly recommend the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Low gain pedal that will get loud if you want and I think it pushes my DC's great. There are two versions, 1 and 2. v1 was pretty much a clone of the Timmy, so I hear, and v2 was modified slightly but I think it's still very good. I have the v1 and stole it new for $20 before v2 came out.

Or get a Boss GEQ.

Thanks for the info

Try the Fulltone OCD. This will serve two purposes. Works great on beefy up the clean channel when needed. And it works great for tightening up the lead channel. If you need it for a boost just turn the volume up on it to tighten and boost at the same time. Plus, what I like about it, if you keep the gain below 10:00 Oclock it doesn't add any coloring to the amp sound. Just beefs it up some and can give more volume output. Now if you really want it to go over the top just kick the gain up on to 12:00 and higher, but a noise gate is needed to stop the feedback when not playing or be quick on the volume. Expected really.

Oh and I have an Boss SD-1 ,it's okay, can do the job, but the OCD is way nicer especially for the clean channel to dirty it up. SD-1 does color the sound some.

Best regards,
Erick

Try a Barber LTD in either black or silver, my DC 5 loves these pedals and both are low gain. Barber makes some of the best pedals out there for the$ and 2 or 3 might fit your description. Oh and they are all hand built and true bypass. You can get them on ebay for 75 to 90 or about 150 new. The OCD was way too much gain for the slight edge for me...
Just my .02
Shaun

i have an SD-1 and a TS7. so far, i prefer the TS7. to my ears, the character of the gain sounds a little better.

Xotic RC booster. Excellent clean boost, very transparent. Little to no tone coloration at all. Plus it has active EQ for bass and treble.

I built one of the BYOC OD2 pedals... it has a screamer clone and boost in the same enclosure with a bunch of switchable clipping/eq options. I usually end up using the boost to drive to push the rhythm channel of the DC-5, though the overdrive is killer, too. It's easily my favorite pedal.

www.buildyourownclone.com

mung said:
I built one of the BYOC OD2 pedals... it has a screamer clone and boost in the same enclosure with a bunch of switchable clipping/eq options. I usually end up using the boost to drive to push the rhythm channel of the DC-5, though the overdrive is killer, too. It's easily my favorite pedal.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com

Man that's an awesome idea. You like the quality and tone ?

+1 on the Xotic from what I've read and heard, its a killer pedal, may invest in one myself..?

greatmutah said:
Xotic RC booster. Excellent clean boost, very transparent. Little to no tone coloration at all. Plus it has active EQ for bass and treble.

Great choice, but I'm a Timmy fan. Great for everything from a TRANSPARENT clean boost to a crunchy overdrive

timmy003.jpg

Latest posts

Back