Higher on the "master output" lower on the "preamp"...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
...equals niiice!!

I used to, admittedly by habit, have the master output volume set at about 3 and adjusted individual preamp volumes accordingly, whether it was practice or gig volume, which almost always is pretty conservative. But on a lark, I tried doing the opposite yesterday and set the master output at 5, 6, then 7 and adjusted the preamp volumes down. I like it!

I finally arrived at 7 on the master, and find the OD timbre is "cleaner," in its saturation, as if there is more of the "raw" tone and less of the ancillary "fizz" or "hair" around the edges. Hard to describe, which is why this may sound odd, but I really like it! Bottom end is a bit tighter, and mids a tad less pronounced. Whether dialing in lower-ish gain or thickening it up, I prefer the overall Lead channel voiced this way. I can guess that perhaps I am hearing less preamp and more power amp color?? BTW, the clean channel sounded pretty similar if not the the same, with maybe a bit more bottom end, but not certain there as I was more impressed weith the difference in the Lead channel. Give it a go. I feel a bit lame that that such a simple adjustment had elluded me for so long. May not be for everyone, but report back whatcha think.

Edward

I will try that as well. thanks.

edit: actually I cannot do it because the master volume affect the fx send level... and I use some effects in the loop (modified to serial)

Funny I just talked with Mesa about this the other day. What I was told was that the Ch master acts like the FX loop send level control and the Master is the FX loop return level control. The tech (I don't remember his name) said it was better to run the Ch masters lower and turn up the Master so that you are pushing the Power section. So I've been running mine at about 6-7 on the master and around 3 for the Ch Masters. FX sound fine even with the loop still parallel. BTW Mix set at about 70%

crguti said:
I will try that as well. thanks.

edit: actually I cannot do it because the master volume affect the fx send level... and I use some effects in the loop (modified to serial)

the output level is after the fx loop.You should have no problem doing it.(please explain your setup)Channel masters set lower,output level higher.

see the DC-5 block diagram. Master is before FX send.
picture.php

crguti said:
see the DC-5 block diagram. Master is before FX send.
picture.php

looked at the schematic the output level control is after the fx,and GEQ.It is the last control before the poweramp.We are talking "OUTPUT LEVEL"control not "MASTER LEVEL"control.Masters are for each of the preamps"rythm/ld.Output is the control that feeds the poweramp section.Crank it for more poweramp gain.

whatever... master affect the FX send, period.

the original post says: Higher on the "master output" lower on the "preamp".

Preamp for me is Gain... and he didn't says anything about Output Level.

Yeah,maybe I'm confused on this thread.I crank my output level to get some poweramp distortion going on and really gets a nice growl out of my DC.Thought thats what he was talking about :?

I havent noticed much difference(in tone) if I lower the master of lower the channel volumes or vice versa. Did experiment with this idea though.Bob

ya get more bass response with the output master cranked.With the band I dime it now.

I tried this out on my DC-2 the other day and it was quite inspiring...it's like getting a whole other set of tones. Much throatier and "hard" sounding than before w/ the gain up and master down. Definitely gonna try this next time I go out jammin'....might be fun!! :mrgreen:

Glad you like it! :D

Just to confirm for myself, I tried it back the other way ...for the longest time I used to have the Master set at 3 and adjusted volume from the channel masters. Still nice. But with the Output at 7-8, the amp's dynamics "liven" up, bass is tighter/bigger with solid thump, and mids and highs are smoother but still with great presence. It really is a nice difference, IMHO! I do wonder, however, what kind of impact this may have on the longevity of the power tubes. Not that I will ever go back, mind you. :lol:

Edward

It really just gets them in the game,as far as how long they will last?Pretty much the same as if you did'nt drive them.There's nothing like some power tube distortion to get the blood flowing.

i haven't had my DC-5 head very long, but i definitely do this! i set output to 8-9 and tweak my gain and master levels from there. the amp really comes into it's own when the output is turned way up.

backed it off to 7 ( :twisted: ) this weekend. i'm probably going to end up hurting myself w/ this thing! :lol:

I liked it! I left it in one position, but the amp took on a different character..hard to describe. Pedal board responded better too..gonna try it again this weekend.

a friend of mine came over last night and we jammed on the DC-5 thru my Recto 4x12 for a while. at one point i was using the rhythm channel w/ the pull boost (gain - 6, master - 4.5, output - 7) and it was sounding fantastic.

for S's and grins, he used an app to check spl levels somewhere around 2 feet from the cab.... it registered @108db w/ a 113db peak! :shock:

not bad for 50watts! :twisted:

Back