Regrets.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I sold my last DC off earlier this year to Lockbody.
Now it seems that I am really missing my old DC's.
I think I miss the 2's & 3's the most, although the 10 was my all time favorite.

I'm, for one, extremely glad you sold me that DC-10. :lol:

Then I look back on what led me too it, trading my Mk IV for a Triaxis, which I got tired of after a while, which led me to sell it and get a Roadster that I sold because that "Recto" sound just isn't for me, then I bought a Stiletto, which was cool as all out, but I missed that low-end grunt that only 6L6s will give you, so I got a DC-5 (which I wish I had never sold), but I wanted more, so when you offered up your DC-10 I had to have it.

But if I had never sold that Mk IV I'd probably still have it.

I know the feeling. I traded my DC-2 for a Telecaster a couple of weeks ago. Had a DC-3 before that. The MKIV is my favorite Mesa of all time, but DC's are a close 2nd. Amazing amps.

I almost regret buying my DC-3 combo to use as a great grab and go amp. It sounds great but I just had to have a Thiele loaded with EVM12L's to round out the bottom and it is a great combination. Then a EVM12L came available 10 minutes drive from me for $75 so I though I must have that speaker and put it in the combo. Now I like the sound of that speaker but sadly, I no longer have a grab and go amp. :lol: Worst of all my poor DC-10 has been neglected so I've got to find a loud rock band to jam with. Ironically I think my DC-10 rig, head and 2x12 cab is a little lighter than my DC-3 and Thiele with the EV speakers. :roll:

One qst for DC-3 lovers: What do you recommend: DC-3 combo or a DC-3 head? I have a Marshall cabinet 2x12 and 4x12, both with g12T-75 speakers.

Steinway said:
One qst for DC-3 lovers: What do you recommend: DC-3 combo or a DC-3 head? I have a Marshall cabinet 2x12 and 4x12, both with g12T-75 speakers.

I'd always go head over combo but DC-3 heads are really hard to find. Not many of them out there.

I would go with a head over a combo as well. I'm currently trying to find a head cabinet for the chassis of my DC-2.

Well....

It started with a DC-2 that I got for $400 from a local store. I sold this one fairly quickly because I wanted a bigger amp.

Then, I got another DC-2 for a steal because it needed an output transformer.
I put a Heyboer transformer in and the amp rocked!

I then got a DC-3 for a steal because some fool had scribbled gang crap all over the grey tolex and nobody wanted to buy it.

We were planning on moving back to the mainland, so I sold the DC-2 to lessen the shipping load.

I bought a DC-5 and had it shipped to our house so that it was there when we got there.

I then bought a DC-10 combo. At this point, I had a 3, 5, & a 10. All combos.

I needed a website and a friend of mine had his eye on my DC-3, so we traded.

I then bought another DC-3 for a steal because it didn't work at all.
At this point, I once again had a 3, 5, & a 10.
This didn't seem like enough, so I bought a DC-10 head because 2 are better than one......
Then, slowly, I sold them off because our business was failing and I had about 10 amps.

I'm now down to a Maverick 1x12 combo and a Heartbreaker 2x12 combo. Both are great amps, but just don't have the same gain that the DC's do.

Anyway.....I think I'm a sick, addicted, weak, Tone Junkie!!!!!! :lol:

Monsta-Tone said:
I'm now down to a Maverick 1x12 combo and a Heartbreaker 2x12 combo. Both are great amps, but just don't have the same gain that the DC's do.

I have Maverick 1x12 too, and now looking for DC-3. Can You explain difference in Gain structure between Mav and DC-3? Mav isn't in Hi-gain teritory. And DC-3 ?? Is it classical Boogie gain, very close to DR and TR ?

Wow! That's quite the story. Sorry to hear about the business troubles. What made you choose a Heyboer transformer? It seems there is a lot of attention towards Mercury Magnetics.

At the time, Mercury didn't make any Mesa transformers.
Heyboer are really high quality and sound great! I've built several Fender clones or Fender style amps using Heyboer and Hammond. Both sound really good.

Steinway said:
Monsta-Tone said:

I have Maverick 1x12 too, and now looking for DC-3. Can You explain difference in Gain structure between Mav and DC-3? Mav isn't in Hi-gain territory. And DC-3 ?? Is it classical Boogie gain, very close to DR and TR ?

I currently have Mav and I had both a DC-2 and DC-3. I think it's fair to say tonally they are completely different amps.

The DC sounds much more like a Mark style amp. VERY mid-focused and tight. Tons of gain that is not fizzy. Can get crunchy like a Marshall when the power tubes start to saturate. Not a lot of low end. Perfectly at home with rock and metal. Amazing clean at moderate volumes but may get fuzzy when you crank it.

The Mav is warmer, not as focused (especially using the tube rectifier) and has way more bass. The Mav's lead channel is both fizzy and boomy. Also lacks the ability to do a tight crunch. Great amp for blues and bluesy rock stuff. Seems better suited to low output pickups and/or single coils.

"not as focused (especially using the tube rectifier) and has way more bass. The Mav's lead channel is both fizzy and boomy. Also lacks the ability to do a tight crunch. Great amp for blues and bluesy rock stuff. Seems better suited to low output pickups and/or single coils."

:mrgreen: Just have to change a couple of capacitors out and replace that tiny output transformer and your Mav will sing!
The louder mine gets, the more it just comes to life!

If I could have my wish, I would have a DC-3, Maverick, Heartbreaker, & a DC-10! Then, I would have to actually learn how to play...... :lol:

Monsta-Tone said:
Just have to change a couple of capacitors out and replace that tiny output transformer and your Mav will sing!
The louder mine gets, the more it just comes to life!

You're killin' me M-T. Love to give it a try, just afraid it will cost more than the old girl is worth! If I need to get loud and tight I'm pluged into the wrong amp. :)

Now, if you could combine the Mav's channel 1 with a DC-3's channel 2 you'd have one hell of a great amp.

:mrgreen: If you don't use the Fat on the clean channel, I can! :mrgreen:

I didn't use a Mercury transformer on mine, I actually used the transformer from my old DC-5. It would sound much better if I used a bigger one, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I'll probably use a Heyboer Bassman transformer with 4, 8, & 16 ohm taps. Maybe a Hammond. Way cheaper than Mercury. Probably not quite as good, but money is an object these days!

I nearly sold my DC-5. In fact knowing some of you guys, you probably saw it on eBay. I had it listed for $675+ shipping, and it's in great shape. Then the douchebags started rolling in, just a day into a 7 day auction:

"I'll give you $600 shipped".
"I'll trade you a MIM telecaster for it"
"I'll give you $635 shipped"

Maybe I was taking it too personally, but I was friggin' insulted, especially the $600 shipped offer. So I got pissed, and my wife said to me laying in bed one night "wasn't that the amp you wanted for ages? Isn't it old? Why would you sell it?"

Well, I wanted to sell it because I could use the $675-$700 on something else right now (probably a modeler) because with two small kids I don't get much time to play it these days. She says "the kids won't be small forever, and when they're 7 and 10 years old and it's not longer a big deal to play a loud amp, you'll have lost the amp you loved"

This woman speaks a lot of sense.

The amp is still sitting behind me as I type.

polaris20 said:
"the kids won't be small forever, and when they're 7 and 10 years old and it's not longer a big deal to play a loud amp, you'll have lost the amp you loved"

This woman speaks a lot of sense.

The amp is still sitting behind me as I type.

Listen to your wife! When my kids were small I sold the Mark IVa (sub 200 serial) I got in 1990. It was too much amp to have around the house; I wasn't playing that much, and could use the $$. Fast foward 5 years later, I start playing again. Then I'm faced with trying to scrounge up $1200 bucks for another one and convice my wife it's a good idea. :D

FYI - I'm still not sure she thinks it's a good idea. :mrgreen:

GD_NC said:
FYI - I'm still not sure she thinks it's a good idea. :mrgreen:

If she needs a second opinion have her ask the question on this board if it's a good idea or not. Who else but Boogie enthusiasts would be more qualified to help with that? :D

Back