Sold my Nomad 55 , should i buy DC-5 OR DC-10

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenchaos

Reaction score
Hi.
I just sold my nomad 55 away cuz i wasn't 100% satisfied with the sound.
I did get good sounds out of it but still there were something missing, dunno what exactly but something :D

Now im really considering that should i by dc-5 , 10 ,mark IV or rectifier?

I play mainly progressive "djent" type of music, but also acid jazz, DT'ish instrumental stuff etc.
I use only 7 & 8 stringed guitars so can dc's or mark iv go that low? with one band we use tuning full step down.
Both of them are equipped with Lundgren pickups (M7 & M8) so they're hot os hell imho.

And one thing is sure, i'm not buying any other brands then mesa, i just love the versatility and tweaking :D

I would appreciate your opinions and help with this one.

I added the recto to the list

buy the Mark IV,it does it all.The Dc's are gonna be in the same vein as the Nomad IMO.

bhsbhswarp said:
buy the Mark IV,it does it all.The Dc's are gonna be in the same vein as the Nomad IMO.

Really?
I've been living in a bubble, and thought that dc's can be brutal but also have that mark'ish flavour in their sound or am i wrong?

bhsbhswarp said:
...The Dc's are gonna be in the same vein as the Nomad IMO.

...um, forgive me, but I have never heard this before, ever!

The Nomad is a different animal. Not doggin it; but just saying it is a different amp.

The DC's OD channel is definitely more akin to Recto in design (as per Mesa, not my opinion, who also refers to the DC's clean channel as "Mark IV-like"). The DCs are very capable of very tight tracking and heavy tone ...as well as lighter, looser OD, which is more my style and tone choice. And the DC10 is downright serious in big, anvil-like OD tone ...and cleans that would make a Twin blush ...sorry, I digress.

Yes, a DC is a very versatile amp that can range from dark and brutal to sweet and chimey. One of the best aspects of the DC line, IMHO, is the fact that the two preamp channels are more discrete than Mesa's current offerings (like the LS and Express, for example), which renders each channel more amenable to fine-tuning tube choices ...almost like voicing each channel seperately. In any event, yes a DC is worth looking into. As are MkIVs. And if you have the scratch (oh, like 3-4x more expensive) give the MkV a try ...that's gotta be worth a giggle or two. I won't because falling in love has consequences. :D

Edward

thanx.
I think that this will be my next amp :lol:
I have played MKV, that was really sweet amp but with 3k€ price tag im not buying that for a while. Maybe in next ten years it drops price to reasonable and costs "only" 2k€ :lol:

DC sounds that it could be "my" amp, because of the recto character in it mixed with mark'ish style...
Where do i found one, i want it :D

sevenchaos said:
thanx.
I think that this will be my next amp :lol:
I have played MKV, that was really sweet amp but with 3k€ price tag im not buying that for a while. Maybe in next ten years it drops price to reasonable and costs "only" 2k€ :lol:

DC sounds that it could be "my" amp, because of the recto character in it mixed with mark'ish style...
Where do i found one, i want it :D

There is a DC-10 head in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for sale: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/2106537689.html

I love my DC-100 head as well as my DC-3. I use to own a Nomad 100 for a few months but just couldn't bond with it. DC's on the other hand work great for me.

I scored mark iii green stripe with qeq , reverb and simulclass.
I just got it so cheap that had to took it!
now just waiting few days that i can get it to my hands :twisted:

Oh, man ...I used to own a MkIII Simul Greenie w/GEQ. Great amp! Period. No excuses. Just loaded with fabulous tones, and a big clean tone to die for! I'd have kept it were it not for a GAS attack. Just a wonderful and under-rated amp, IMHO. Do an R2 volume mod and get some good tubes, especially EL34s of old, and the sound is lucious. Enjoy!

Edward

edward said:
Oh, man ...I used to own a MkIII Simul Greenie w/GEQ. Great amp! Period. No excuses. Just loaded with fabulous tones, and a big clean tone to die for! I'd have kept it were it not for a GAS attack. Just a wonderful and under-rated amp, IMHO. Do an R2 volume mod and get some good tubes, especially EL34s of old, and the sound is lucious. Enjoy!

Edward

Yeap, i love this amp!
I haven't done the R2 mod yet but someday :roll:
I have hit it with winged c's that i tested at work with tube tester.
This thing is keeper :lol:

sevenchaos said:
edward said:

Edward

Yeap, i love this amp!
I haven't done the R2 mod yet but someday :roll:
I have hit it with winged c's that i tested at work with tube tester.
This thing is keeper :lol:

Give us an update! :lol:

Just found this thread going through the DC section out of a whim. You picked a perfect amp to play 'djent' style--no doubt about it. Plus-- it's also ( as you mentioned) perfect for jazz/fusion material as well. Sounds like we play close to the same material. Anyways, let us know how your making out. I love both of mine!

~Nep~

Latest posts

Back