DC-3 speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhsbhswarp

Reaction score
My DC-3 combo has a Mesa Black Shadow 50 watt speaker in it(stock).This amp as you know is quite robust in the volume department.It really screams when you crank things up a bit.I'm wondering if this speaker can handle the pressure of the Dyna-watt power.Do I need a higher rated speaker for this beast?I'm thinking 12L or Emi Delta Pro 12A.What say you guy's?

If you don't have the manual, here it is:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual%20Cal%20DC-3.pdf
The DC-3 outputs 35 watts RMS. If you crank both the channel masters and the output up to 7 or 8, you are inching close to 70 watts peak. If you do this often, you are probably straining the 50 watt speaker a bit.
Personally, I like a speaker rated at twice the amp's wattage. In your case, that would be a 70 watt speaker. You can try plugging the 8 ohm speaker into a four ohm jack. That will lower the output power a bit.
Keep in mind, a higher-rated speaker will get you cleaner cleans, but also cleaner dirt as well. (And whiter whites! :lol: ).
I ran a Celestion Vintage 30 (60 watts) in a Maverick (35 watts) with no ill effects.
I currently have an Eminence Texas Heat (150 watts) in a 75 watt Mark III. It's working well, and the Texas Heat is supposed to break up early, so it's not as stiff as an EVM 12L.
Don't get me wrong, I love the EV. If you want a big, fat sound with more bottom end, try one. It adds 10 lbs. to the weight, 'tho.
Hope this helps :D

I'm thinking about trying the Emi-Wizard.Has anybody tried these in a DC??

bhsbhswarp said:
I'm thinking about trying the Emi-Wizard.Has anybody tried these in a DC??

I have and it sounded great to me. Unfortunately it didn't work in my application because it is so efficient and loud that it overpowered my EVM 12L loaded Thiele so I didn't use it with my DC-3. I wanted a more balance output between the speakers so I would get a good dose of the EV. If you want to stay away from anything vintage like, I highly recommend the Wizard. If I was not using an extension cabinet I would have left it in the DC-3 combo.

Wow,seems this is right up my alley then.I don't need a ext.cab for what I'm doing these day's (rock mostly),and the DC3 has plenty of volume already.Thnkx for the reply. :D

while waiting for my Wizard speaker I installed PV 200watt Scorpion speaker(8 ohm)just becouse I have it and WOW!IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!tight focused bass fully cranked,sharp attack,shimmer highs,full midrange.I cannot believe how wonderful this speaker sounds with this amp.I think it's in there to stay,and I'll use the Emi with a sealed back ext cab.If you have a chance to try a Scorp with this amp make sure you bring Monies,you wont leave without it..

I hooked mine up to one of my combo's loaded with a G12K-100. man thats the sound for me! In the meanwhile Im running the stock V30 with another 1x12 cab loaded with a G12T-75. The 75 blends and mellows out the aggresiveness of the V30. Very nice too but not as portable. Bob

I am running the slave out from my DC-2 into the power amp in of a Peavey Classic VTX 2X12 combo that is loaded with 2 Scorpions and I couldn't be happier.

Anybody out there?.... Some one give me a C90 or G12K-100 so I can yank that V30 out! lol! Bob

Latest posts

Back