Found a nice OD/Dist pedal for use with the DCs!

DC-2, 3, 5, 10
50 Caliber

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

MusicManJP6
Donating Member

Found a nice OD/Dist pedal for use with the DCs!

Post by MusicManJP6 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 am

I like to keep my two channels on my DC-3 setup for clean and high gain. I feel like the lead channel does not do well in the low to mid gain department so I decided to give a pedal a try. Guitar Center is blowing out the MXR classic distortion pedal for $39 so I tried it out and bought it. Messed with it several times over the weekend. It is a nice transparent pedal and sounds very much like the DC's voicing. It gives me the low to mid gain tones I like while letting me keep my clean channel clean and lead channel set for high gain. The coolest thing is that it sounds/feels like an OD pedal below noon on the gain knob and like a distortion pedal past noon! Very cool. The tone knob is reponsive and is the most transparent at noon (obviously). You can darken/fatten or brighten/add some bite with the tone knob easily. It also works very well as a boost since it is a fairly low gain pedal. I really like this pedal - especially for the price.
Mark V:25 | Mini Rectifier 25 | Mini Rec 1x12 | Fractal Audio FX-8
'06 EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream) | '15 Epi ES-339 PRO (Cherry) | '11 PRS SE245 (Tobacco Sunburst)
'05 PRS SE Soapbar II (Vintage Cherry) | '92 Peavey Predator USA (Custom)

brungio
Mark II

Re: Found a nice OD/Dist pedal for use with the DCs!

Post by brungio » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am

Great info.

I've found that distortion pedals don't help out too much in the lead channel but OD does do a nice job with this amp. It's as if the amp says, "hey I do the gain thing around here, beat it." and just ignores the signal.
Good deals with Jmango

MusicManJP6
Donating Member

Post by MusicManJP6 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:22 pm

brungio wrote:Great info.

I've found that distortion pedals don't help out too much in the lead channel but OD does do a nice job with this amp. It's as if the amp says, "hey I do the gain thing around here, beat it." and just ignores the signal.
I know what you mean. If you use any more than like 5 on the gain knob of your DC then a distortion pedal is overkill. This pedal is great for adding some bite and meat without sounding honky though no matter how much gain you dial in on your amp (within reason). You just gotta set it as a boost with output near 10 and gain near 0 for best results. It sounds good with pedal settings set with output at noon and gain at about 11:00 as well. Its more like an additional gain stage rather than a big boost that sends the amp into Metal territory - if that makes sense.
'06 EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream) | '15 Epi ES-339 PRO (Cherry) | '11 PRS SE245 (Tobacco Sunburst)

boogietone
Donating Member

Post by boogietone » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:28 pm

I like using my treblebooster with my DC-5. Sounds awesome!
Guitars: HamerUSA T-62 and Centaura
Amp: Mesa DC-5a
EFX: Boss SD-1, DD-3

eschoendorff
Mark II

Post by eschoendorff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 pm

How does it compare to a TS9?

Judas
Mark I

Post by Judas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:04 am

For my part, I use a Xotic BB preamp, set to a clean boost (low gain, high volume, and a little more treble, bass set to noon), with a mid gain on the lead channel. Really worth the try !

MusicManJP6
Donating Member

Post by MusicManJP6 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:10 am

eschoendorff wrote:How does it compare to a TS9?
A little more gain and no mid hump

LTE
Mark III

Post by LTE » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:35 pm

I use a TS9 or a BBE Green Screamer, both are great, though the bbe is more transparent. Although ill be getting a BB Preamp soon, and ill see how that fares, looks like an amazing pedal. Greg Howe described it as taking all the good frequencies of your guitar and making them better/sweeter.
Ibanez 777VBK Jem, Ibanez AK95, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM strat -->Pork Loin, BB Preamp,Boss DD6,Morley Bad Horsie-->Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo

Chris K
Bottle Rocket

Post by Chris K » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 pm

i would try a dist+ for $40. I went to guitar center online and they are $70. Is this an in store special?

i've been digging the OCD pedal on the clean channel lately.
PRS Custom 24 > Mesa DC-5. Yum!

TimeSignature
Mark IV

Post by TimeSignature » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 pm

MusicManJP6, interestingly I am unable to find that pedal online at musiciansfriend or GC, although Ive seen them in a bunch of GC's for $39.99.

I believe the one you are referring to is the MXR M-86 Classic.

Ive used a TS9, Wylde OD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Way Huge Pork Loin, DS1, SD1, OS2, Sonic Stomp and a Nano Linear boost with my DC10 (yes, Im a gear junky!!) and I like the Fulltone the best, followed by the TS9.

I'll have to get that MXR now!
Marshall JVM210h / PRS 2x12 cab
Fender: US Strat, Performer; Gibson: LP Std, LP Trad Pro, Classic; PRS Cust24, Ibanez: FP77, JPM100 P1, FR1620, RT452, RG470, RG752

MusicManJP6
Donating Member

Post by MusicManJP6 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Chris K wrote:i would try a dist+ for $40. I went to guitar center online and they are $70. Is this an in store special?

i've been digging the OCD pedal on the clean channel lately.
It's not the distortion+, it's the classic distortion. The M-86 classic as timesignature mentioned. I don't really think it's the best pedal out there, but it is a great match for the DC amp and it doesn't break the bank.

MJ Slaughter
Mark IV

Post by MJ Slaughter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:21 am

MusicManJP6 wrote:I like to keep my two channels on my DC-3 setup for clean and high gain. I feel like the lead channel does not do well in the low to mid gain department so I decided to give a pedal a try. Guitar Center is blowing out the MXR classic distortion pedal for $39 so I tried it out and bought it. Messed with it several times over the weekend. It is a nice transparent pedal and sounds very much like the DC's voicing. It gives me the low to mid gain tones I like while letting me keep my clean channel clean and lead channel set for high gain. The coolest thing is that it sounds/feels like an OD pedal below noon on the gain knob and like a distortion pedal past noon! Very cool. The tone knob is reponsive and is the most transparent at noon (obviously). You can darken/fatten or brighten/add some bite with the tone knob easily. It also works very well as a boost since it is a fairly low gain pedal. I really like this pedal - especially for the price.
Are you using the OD with your GT-8 and if so, where do you put it? I think you said you're using the 4CM. Do none of the ODs in the GT work for you?

DC-5 head, 2x12 Stagecraft w/EVM12Ls, 1x12 Stagecraft w/EVM12L, Digitech GSP1101/Control 2, GT-100

MusicManJP6
Donating Member

Post by MusicManJP6 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:01 am

MJ Slaughter wrote:Are you using the OD with your GT-8 and if so, where do you put it? I think you said you're using the 4CM. Do none of the ODs in the GT work for you?
Yep, I use the 4CM. But, sometimes I don't feel like plugging up the GT-8 when I bring it home after practice so it's nice to have a stand-alone OD/dist pedal for my lazy days. When I plug up the GT-8 though I just place the MXR in front of the GT-8. So my chain goes: guitar>wah>MXR>GT8 input and then the rest of the chain is the same for the 4CM. If I wanted to place an effect 'in the loop' (not useful for an OD, but very useful for my looper) I just plug it up to the main GT8 output and then it goes on to the DC's return and power amp. The looper sounds best here for sure as it captures all effects from the GT8 allowing me to change my patch while the loop remains unaffected.

The ODs on the GT8 aren't bad, although they tend to sound a little digital. I mainly use the TScream model and the 'booster'. It is cool to stack the ODs in the GT-8 with the MXR. The MXR has an advantage over the GT because it is analog. But, the main appeal of this pedal IMO is that it mimicks the voicing and feel of the DC, but handles the low/midgain and crunch tones much better and I can leave my clean and high gain settings alone on the amp. It's kind of like having a third channel.

Chris K
Bottle Rocket

Post by Chris K » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:50 pm

i went to gc and picked up the distortion classic for $39.99. the rep told me it was made specially for guitar center. i think its a rebranded Distortion III. It does sound ok with my dc-5, but I prefer the OCD. I'll keep the mxr on the pedal board for a little while. for 40 bucks i agree it is a nice little box for the dc amps.

hehe..the rep wanted to sell me insurance for the pedal to cover repairs for 2 years at a $9 cost. i told him for $40 bucks this pedal is basically disposible.
PRS Custom 24 > Mesa DC-5. Yum!

Scary
Mark III

Post by Scary » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:02 pm

I bet a BB preamp would go good with any amp. It sounds pretty awesome with a mark five and a lonestar.