Creating a DC Register for Serial# Dating

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD_NC

Reaction score
Being one of those people who spends way too much time thinking about amplifiers I'm very interested in knowing how many of each DC variety Mesa made and when each model/rev was produced.

So, I'm proposing that we create a log of DC amps to reverse engineer this. If anyone who has a DC will reply with the following information we may be able to figure it out:

Model (DC-2/3/5/10)
Rev (A or B) see this post for more a/b info http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36820
Serial #
Approximate date of manufacture or date of original purchase
Any unusual factory customizations or features beyond the standard rev?

If you don't know all the above just send me what you have.

Finally, If you don't want your info public of are sensitive about sharing your whole Serial # just send me a PM or provide all but the last two digits of the serial (for example: DC-5 234XX). I'll just keep editing this post and you can use it as a reference.

So let's get started....

Model / Rev / Serial / Date

DC-2's
DC-2 / 0009x / Unknown
DC-2 / 024xx / Unknown
DC-2 / 02694 / 1996

DC-3's
DC-3 / A / 019x / Unknown / 240V Export Transformer
DC-3 / B / 03029/ June 1997 / Hardwood & Wicker
DC-3 / B / 038xx / unknown
DC-3 / B / 4138 / 2000

DC-5's
DC-5 / A / 0009 / 1992
DC-5 / A / 0075 / unknown
DC-5 / A / 03xx / 92?
DC-5 / A / 06xx / Unknown
DC-5 / A / 0652 / Unknown
DC-5 / A / 01062 / 1995
DC-5 / A / 02496 / unknown (modded to B rev)
DC-5 / B / 0311XX / unknown
DC-5 / B / 0311xx / 97 or 98
DC-5 / B / 031714 / December 1998
DC-5 / B / 031922 / Unknown

DC-10
(According to Monsta-tone there were no A/B revs of the DC-10 however some have 60/100w switches while others do not)
DC-10 / DCX-009x / Unknown / no 60/100w switch
DC-10 / DCX-06xx / Unknown / with 60/100w switch
DC-10 / DCX-0880 / 1999 / with 60/100w switch
DC-10 / DCX-14xx / Unknown / with 60/100w switch

My DC-5 is ser# 31714 and was manufactured in Dec. of '98 as part of the last run of them built. It's "loaded" as it includes all the various revisions and has had the Volume mod done to it.

My DC-10 is serial # DCX-0099
From what I can tell, there is no A or B for the 10.
The 10's had all of the upgrades that the B's had, so I've always assumed (yeah, I know what it means) that they came out later.

I have forgotten what year it was made in, but I do need to open it up and do the Series Loop mod and a few others that I have discovered since the last time I owned this amp.
I made the mistake of selling it last year because of the economy. Luckily, mdortona was missing his Heartbreaker and offered it back to me for some money and some mods on his HB! :D This amp is never leaving my side again! :D

I'll open up the 10 and the 5 (that I sold to buy the 10 back) this weekend and see.
I need to get bias readings from the 5 and replace the Loop jacks since they started acting a bit funny.

I had another DC-10 head with the 60/100 watt setting.
Serial # was in the 1400's, I think 1469 or so.
The board said DC510A
The one I have now does not have the 60/100 watt switch. I don't think they made very many without it since the 14xx one had it.

The 5 is serial # DC-2496
It is a Rev A that has been converted to a B in my shop. So, it's a B with LED's!

I can't find any date codes in my pictures, but I'll look again.

Another (original owner) DC-3...

S/N : 003029
Rev:B
Ordered: 6 May 1997
Rcvd : 3 Jun 1997

Amp: $799
Hardwood: $400
Value to me today: priceless

Never too busy to post a gear pic...

IMG_2168.jpg

It's on the underside of your amp. I believe it's near the transformer on the left (when looking at the back) on mine. Look for a black and silver sticker that says "mesa boogie" at the top then DC-XXXXX stamped on it. You might need a flashlight to read it.

Cheers!

I just happened to be packing up my rig to jam at a friends, so I took a peek.

DC-0075 (does that mean its the 75th DC made?)
Mine is 50 watts, EQ, EQ rotary on back and Lead/Rhythm switch on front.

Hey Bonez, thanks for the serial number. Can you tell us if you have an A or a B version? See the note in the original post if you need help figuring out what you have. It's most likely an A given the low serial #.

I can't tell you the date of your amp yet. That's the point of this post. Once we get a few people who can verify the date their amp was made we can use those as reference points for the rest of us. Be patient and check back a little later. Hopefully we'll have more dates in line at that point.

Hmm. Just noticed something interesting. All the DC-3 & DC-5 "B" versions on the list so far have serial # that begin with "03". I wonder if they restarted the serial #s?

B version DC-5 #031127 bought it new in '97 or '98, I do remember it was already discontinued as they cut me a deal on the price.

My DC-10 has the 60/100 toggle.

SN# DCX 00xxx
Sorry no idea about the manufacture date. I got it a year ago, saw it online locally, didn't think just laid down the cash!

Cheers
dod

Latest posts

Back