Dating first series DC 5 (Metal Toggles)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green2002

Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone could help me at least narrow down the date of manufacture of my DC 5. It is a series 1 combo serial no. DC-0359. So the question is what year (year range) would of she came to life? Cheers

The DC's were introduced in 1990. With a serial number that low, and given the popularity of the DC-5 model, yours was probably made in 90 or early 91.

For comparison my DC 3's ser# is in the 3800's and the guy who sold it to me said he'd had it since '96. Assuming it's at least that old, that it would work out to at least 600 to 650 DC-3's per year. I'm guessing from the number I see for sale they made a bunch more DC-5's (or it could be the DC-3's are just so good no one wants to sell them :) )

When I called Mesa last time about something unrelated they told me the DC-5's were made from early '92 to early '99. My current one was one of the last 200 to roll out of the factory and was built in Dec of '98. Yours was made in '92 some time.

I owned both an "A" and my current "B" and IMO the B is a nicer amp.

I've seen quite a few different variations of the DC-models

The info below is based on a comparison of my Rev B DC-3 with the Rev A owners manual on MB's website. I think the same changes apply for the DC-5

"A" versions will have:
- 5 position rotary dial on the back to assign the EQ
-a two button eq/reverb footswitch on the back
- a separate channel footswitch on the front
- The channel selector switch on the front of the amp was two position Rhy/Lead.

"B" Versions have:
- a metal flip switch on the back to assign the EQ
- A single Channel/EQ footswitch on the front
- a headphone jack on the back (where the old eq/reverb switch was)
- a three position channel switch on the front - Rhy/footswitch/lead

I've seen a couple of other minor DC variations from the above. Most notably some of the later DC's have a LED indicator above the output level knob (although I don't know what it does). Also some have plastic rocker style switches on the front and others have metal ones. I don't know when the change from one to the other occurred. I don't think it coincides directly with the A or B revs. (But I could be wrong)

It's my undestanding that an A can modded to have most of the B features if required. Although I don't see much point. I wouldn't mind having a reverb switch on my B. I'm just bummed that you can't switch out or assign the FX loop on either!

We sell a mod in our shop to bring the A up to a B.
This is a basic list of differences:
B has better Reverb
More headroom in the clean channel
Better channel switching
2 button footswitch in the front
Distortion is a little more refined

The mod keeps the rotary EQ switch, makes the improvements mentioned above, and makes it so that the EQ is footswitchable from the front panel.

Ryan,
If your amp is in the 31,000's, they must have made a **** load (around 4,500) of them each year!

Back