50 cal plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRS24

Reaction score
ok im about to buy a 50 caliber plus but i have a few questions first. ok for all you chevelle fans out there this ones for you, can it get a tone similar to that. also can i get a very chimey bright clean tone out of it and a good distortion out of it too. i've heard stuff that you couldn't. thank you

somethin like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOHEkt_v_g

With some hot pickups and boost in front you should be able to get some heavy stuff out of it. try using a true bypass pedal with channel switching control so you can run an od pedal on the gain channel to get you into the heavy distortion without affecting the clean.

Sweet Mother Mary, if there's any Mesa that doesn't require a boost pedal, it's the 50+ Cal. !
IMHO.
What was difficult for me was getting that "pushed" semi-dirty clean sound. Because if you crank the gain for the clean channel, the lead is totally insane. Nice, but insane. Keeping the gain at about 2 - 3, the cleans are very good, almost as good as a Mark III, I think. Then the lead would smoke, and adding a decent pedal would kill.
The graphic is very useful as well. Reverb not so much.
Great amps, and cheap as hell.

Yes, the .50cal can get that tone easily and without a boost. If you click on my myspace pages you can hear my .50cal in action. Force Fed is me alone with my .50cal except the first song (deceit, thats a Engl Blackmore), and the PND stuff is me with my .50 cal and my other guitarist is using a MKIII... I'm still laughing about the boost remark...

Haha I know what you mean but I've used one before to to keep my gain up on the dirty channel when I ran the gain at 3-4 to keep my cleans bright. I guess it depends on your music style and pickups.

Well, I missed the part where he asks about the squeeky clean...My clean sounds like Angus Youngs normal tone...I have no real clean tone cause I run my gain at 10.

I'm saying because of the two channels having shared control, I cannot get a squeaky clean tone from my clean channel cause I run the gain at 10 for my lead channel.

scottcrud is right if you run the gain at 10 you won't have nice clean. setting the gain 6-7 will get you some good gain on the lead and if you roll back your volume knob on your guitar you should get a decent clean.

Back