Had volume swell on DC 5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green2002

Reaction score
Well here is the story... I was giving my DC 5 a bash quite loud at home. I was using the Lead channel gain on about 7, pres on 6, master 3 and output on 5 and gEQ sweeping the mids slightly and a small boost on the treble. It was loud and sounding great but then I hit a big Em cord and the strangest thing happened. The volume got louder (maybe with more presence?) and the dropped back to the volume it was at. It was not guitar dynamics louder but amp louder. I tried this a couple of times and the volume "swell" seemed to come in and out. No pedals just guitar-lead and amp. I even tried two different leads. I have a new set of JJ's in it and I have not done any mods bar the volume pot mod off this forum.

Anyone have any ideas??

I have had the opposite happen to me before. Hit a big E chord at a certain volume and the volume went down and came back up as soon as I stopped playing. The amp getting louder is very strange! I'm not sure exactly what to tell you...

Just a quick update, today I found that the volume swell seems to have something to do with the parallel FX loop mix control. The fx loop was not in use but the mix was set to 100%. After turning this down to 0% the volume seemed to even out. Has anyone experienced this before?? If I do the series mod will this stop this from happening again??

Green2002 said:
Just a quick update, today I found that the volume swell seems to have something to do with the parallel FX loop mix control. The fx loop was not in use but the mix was set to 100%. After turning this down to 0% the volume seemed to even out. Has anyone experienced this before?? If I do the series mod will this stop this from happening again??

Mine's modded to serial and I've never had a problem.

It could be that your 'Mix' pot is going bad and the vibrations are kicking it in the butt.

The only problem that you may have with the Series mod, is that all of the signal passes through the jacks, which can be problematic.

I changed my loop to Series and couldn't be happier with the increase in quality of the sound of my FX. But...when using the amp without anything plugged into the Loop, I have to run a jumper cord from Send to Return because all of the In/Out switching is done by the Send jack. The contacts get dirty after a period of time and start to cause intermittent loss of signal.

You might try the jumper cable before you make the change and see if that helps.

I'll get around to changing my jacks, but just haven't had the time lately. Sort of like the Mechanic's car not running. My amp needs some love and I am too busy fixing other people's amps! :lol:

Back