Where is the sweet spot on your DC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
What channel master and output settings do you consider the 'sweet spot' on your DC? I haven't had a chance to open mine up with a band yet so i'm not sure where this spot is exactly. I have an attenuator though so i'm hoping to hit the sweet spot at lower volumes. Please share your settings!

Oh my god i shouldnt be procrastinated i have a composition due for VHS, but oh well.

Sweet spot for mine is about 4-5 output, 4-5 master on lead, 3-4 clean, and the attenuator level knob at about 3-5 depending on loudness, its the perfect balance of tone and not completely killing your ears, but even that still shakes the house!

Cool, you even included the attenuator setting. Haha. I'll have to adjust that part to taste, but the amp's settings are what I'm gonna try out.

Now go do your school work!! :D

I had a chance to try your settings, LTE. They were a little too loud even with the attenuator turned up a good bit. If I turn the att. up too much the tone starts suffering. I ended up around 3 1/2 output and 3 1/2 on both masters. My Tube Juice Max 50 attenuator was at about 2:00 (although it works counter-clockwise so I suppose it would technically be 10:00). I am using the 4 ohm out on my DC into the Attenuator at 4 ohms then into one of my 8 ohm Recto 1x12 cabs. Then I use the parallel out of the first cab and connect to the second cab's 8 ohm input... Sounded pretty dang good!!

I can't decide if I like the master higher than the output or vice versa...

Nice topic,MusicMan!
There was a lot of argue about the EQ settings,and generally the settings of the amps,but rarely that involves the master and output level..although,these two settings make the great difference to the sound.
To me,the master bring up the definition,clarity,high end,and spike up the tone..
Output level is helping the sounds low end,gives is warmth and mass,heavy-ness..
It is about accenting the power tubes or the pre-amp tubes,in general.
To me,the rhythm channel is great in master 3-4,output 4-5,
and the solo channel is great in master 3,output 5-6

:lol: It's right under the 'Peel the Paint' setting!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I usually use these settings at practice and it's really loud:

Clean Gain 5
Clean Master 7
Dirty Gain 7-8
Dirty Master 2-3
Output 3-4

The real sweet spot is with the Output on 4-5, but that's a bit too loud for the band unfortunately.

With these settings, the Cleans have just a hint of hair around the edges. I get a great early Clapton tone like Blind Faith era out of it. The distortion tones are sweet, Santana sustain with tons of CRUNCH!!!!!

I've also found that as the Output goes up, the Gain on my lead channel goes down.

This is with Doug's Tubes in the amp, which I have a Love/Hate relationship with.
I'm thinking about putting my JJ High Gain set from Eurotubes in it to see if I can get better tones at lower volumes.

Hey thanks, Andy! Man, those are SCORCHING levels! I can't possibly attenuate enough at those levels without absolutely killing my tone. For a jam/practice with a full band I could hit those levels if I am still using the attenuator though. I miss playing in a band!!

I use all JJs in my preamp with the exception of a GE 12at7 in the PI slot. I've been pretty happy with the results, but I may switch back to the AX7 now that i've been using the AT7 and gotten used to it. If you plug in your high gain JJ set in your DC lemme know what you think. I've thought about getting a few for my DC-3. You mentioned they make the clean channel sound better usually so it's worth a try as long as they don't add too much noise.

Another thing I've done for the clean channel is use an NOS GE or Sylvania in V4. I have a bunch from old Fender amps I've owned over the years.

I tried a Mullard in V4 and it made the creamiest overdrive tones you can imagine, but had no clean headroom.

You think those levels are loud, try this:
I read somewhere on the board a few years ago that Santana puts all of his knobs on 7.

:lol: I tried this one day when I had the store in town and could get as loud as I wanted! :lol:
Talk about loud! You could easily overpower John Bohnam with these settings, but man the tone was SSSWWWEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!

Monsta-Tone said:
I tried a Mullard in V4 and it made the creamiest overdrive tones you can imagine, but had no clean headroom.

I assume you mean overdrive from the clean channel since V4 is the second and third rhythm stages?

No, it makes the clean channel very Bluesy!
If I didn't need cleans for most of the songs I play, I would have left it in there!

I've got a mod that I do to make the 'Boost' footswitchable, but haven't had time to do it on my own amp yet.
One of these days! Then, I'll have the best sounding DC-5 on the planet. :lol: Maybe I already do!!!!!!!

Back