Hum on both channels of my DC-5....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vojin

Reaction score
Just bought the DC-5,and I already love it to death!I read all the manuals,and forums on the net,and i begin to understand it..The sound is great!I love the pushed rhythm,the solo,and the clean sounds.Beatiful amp!I play it live,and people love it!
Only problem with it is,that the amp is making the loud hum when on concert volume..
and the hum is there even if the instrument cable is plugged out.I read about the adam 972's
problem,and it is totally the same..except,when played at home volume,there is no hum.
I find the way to reduce the hum,when playing live...I mic the amp,and hold the master below
2-2.5,and push the output level for power.High output level(4-5) gives me massive sound,but low master(about 2) is reducing the clarity and definition...and I am looking for both.
I was gona re-tube it,but I'm afraid it would be something else,not the tubes..
Any idea?

Well, as far as I remember the Adam´s problem was solved, and the case was the shielded input cable.

I also have this problem with my DC-3. Although, the hum is more noticeble on the LEAD channel, both channels have them, even with the guitar unplugged.

I was looking inside the amp, especially at that input cable, but everything seems to be all right. I was hoping Adam were giving to us more details about the issue...

I would start with a re-tube. It could very well be a weak or bad tube. If tubes don't fix it then you know you can rule them out as the cause. If it needs to be serviced it is not the end of the world. Good luck and congrats on joining the DC family! These amps rock!

It's a good idea to start with new tubes. It may not fix your hum issue, but it will definitely fix the clarity issue.

Another thing that causes loss of clarity and hums is the power supply Filter Caps. Depending on how much the amp was used before you got it, they may be going.

I make it a rule to change all of the Filter Caps (including Bias Supply Caps) and tubes in any used amp I purchase.
That way, I know from the start what the amp is supposed to sound like.

Back