What's up with DC 10

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem12

Reaction score
Been looking around and looks like DC 10 is very hard to find.
Did MESA limit the production on this one.
I found a lot of DC 2,3,5 but not many 10's.

gem12 said:

The DC's all need the volume mod done to them which is easy and takes 5 minutes. Here's the thing tho... A DC-5 (I've had 2, currently own one) is so loud without the mod that it'll easily chew up a 100w Marshall. I bet Mesa didn't sell as many DC-10's because the DC-5's were just stupid loud stock. I'd have to call boogie and ask them about numbers to be sure though.

gem12 said:

Keep looking, they're worth the hunt. I would have been happy with a DC-5 head but I was fortunate enough to find a DC-10 locally and snatched it up. You're not the only one to ask this question so I have to imagine that Mesa didn't produce as many 10's as all the others.

If you are interested in a short head then you will have to look for a DC-2 or 3. The 5 and 10 are both medium heads. May not make a difference to you, but i love the short heads!

MusicManJP6 said:
If you are interested in a short head then you will have to look for a DC-2 or 3. The 5 and 10 are both medium heads. May not make a difference to you, but i love the short heads!

My DC-10 is probably considered a large head because it is just a hair over 26".

MJ Slaughter said:
MusicManJP6 said:

My DC-10 is probably considered a large head because it is just a hair over 26".

Same difference... :)

I read somewhere that the DC-5 was the most produced Mesa amp of it's time.

I don't think they made very many 10's though.
I had and have just re-purchased DC-10 serial # 99.
It has basically the same circuit as the DC-5 B. So, I am thinking that they did not even introduce the 10 until the 5 B came out.

I have a DC-5 A that is serial # DC 2496. So, if my thinking is not too flawed, they made at least 3000 DC-5's before they made the 5 B's and 10's.

It's all speculation, but it would really explain why there are so many 5's and so few 10's.

Plus, most guys I know that have the 10's just don't want to let them go!

I would never sell my 10!! And yes the volume mod has made a huge difference...should be mandatory.

The 10 is the gladiator of the bunch!

I've had several of each model and, while they all have their own distinct tones, the 10 is the most brutal and has the best cleans.

Other mandatory mods are non-Mesa tubes, a bias pot, filter cap change and series FX Loop!

http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33293

I dont know where you're located but I know theres a guy on CL in the Chicago suburbs thats been trying to sell a DC-10 for a while now.

Back