DC-5 lead tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erotomaniac1928

Reaction score
Im having a bit of trouble getting a good leading tone out of this amp. Ive gotten a pretty good high gain rhythm though. Any suggestions?

Since you use a GT-6 try adding some compressor and delay. I think it fattens up lead tones quite nicely. Also try some EQ presets and/or an OD for a boost. The T-Scream model on the GT8 is pretty good... Not sure if the 6 has it or not.

The problem with the gt-6, is that when using the 4CM the "external" function is in the distortion/OD section (instead of the preamp section where it makes sense). because of that, I have no access to the gt's distortions when using the DC's preamp. I hope I dont have to get an external pedal just to add that extra "thickness" to the gain. I may just get a gt8 instead. That, or rack fx with a midi footcontroller.

Erotomaniac1928 said:
The problem with the gt-6, is that when using the 4CM the "external" function is in the distortion/OD section (instead of the preamp section where it makes sense). because of that, I have no access to the gt's distortions when using the DC's preamp. I hope I dont have to get an external pedal just to add that extra "thickness" to the gain. I may just get a gt8 instead. That, or rack fx with a midi footcontroller.

GT-8... it will change amp channels for you and allow the use of ODs 'in front' among other things and won't cost you too much extra...

I use an ibanez ts9 or a bbe green screamer to fatten and sharped up the attack on the lead channel. Without it, on low volumes the lead channel is usually a little thin and doesnt sustain a while. But when played loud in a band setting both with or without an od it sounds great.

But at low volumes(with my attenuator) and an od pedal it sounds great

Can you define what you mean by "good lead tone"?? Examples, perhaps??

I ask because I have found the DC5 to be very versatile in tone, rhythm and lead. From EVH to shred, to ZZ, to bluesy, it's there, really, at least in my experience.

Best way to approach it is to go straight to the amp, sans fx. Then dial in as close you can with GEQ flat. Then shape with GEQ. That should get you there, or at least very close. Then fold in your GT6 for fx such as mild compression or mild boost, but be sure you are not changing the fundamental tone with any modelling or digital preamp or amp settings. I set my GT3 to "manual" so the pedal is, in effect, a series of "stomp boxes" and does not go through any of the pedal's COSM "amp" or "preamp" doohickies ...simple and lest intrusive to my core tone. Not to mention the Boogie OD is luscious and thick in its own right ...IMHO anyway.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Edward

I used to have a gt6 and i know there is a way to completely bypass the cosm amp models and just use the stompbox models.

The GT-8 seems to make up for everything the GT-6 cant. If I can avoid buying a midi switcher and an external OD, then the gt-8 seems to to be worth a shot. Thanks guys

By the way, sorry about being so vague as to "good" lead tone. I had something warm and singing in mind, a la Satriani or Petrucci

This may sound stupid but how loud are you turning up the amp. The DC's compress quite a bit when you get them up to band volumes and as such they're really smooth for that sort of thing. I generally dial in my rhythm sound without the EQ and then bump the mids with the EQ for a lead boost.

Remember, Tube amps like to be loud.

madryan said:
This may sound stupid but how loud are you turning up the amp. The DC's compress quite a bit when you get them up to band volumes and as such they're really smooth for that sort of thing. I generally dial in my rhythm sound without the EQ and then bump the mids with the EQ for a lead boost.

Remember, Tube amps like to be loud.

Ive gone up to about 3 or 4 at home. I have band practice tomorrow, so I expect good things. Haha

I run a GT-6 into my DC-5, but I'm too lazy to use the 4CM... I find that putting the lead channel gain on 6, everything else on 5, and then using the OD 'pedal' "Booster" gives a nice lead sound. It helps boost mids and compresses it a bit, so that the sound cuts and sings better, but it doesn't color over the Boogie sound too much. Perhaps add a little short delay to taste.

If the GT-8 lets you do that *with* the 4CM, I'd say you're in great shape.

highwaynine said:
If the GT-8 lets you do that *with* the 4CM, I'd say you're in great shape.

That and more my friend! Once you setup the 4CM it is really awesome. Just label your cables and bunch them together with velcro ties every 5 inches or so and it is a super easy setup and tear down rig. The GT-8 changes amp channels as does the GT-10 so that is even more convenient. I've not looked back at a pedalboard since I got my GT-8... It's just that cool.

Edward's right! Dial in the tone you are looking for before adding the FX.

I have absolutely no problem at all using my DC-5 for stellar leads and rythms.
I set the amp really close to the lead tone I want, without the GEQ.
Then, I check the rythms. Sometimes I have to roll my guitar's volume back a bit to clean it up. It just depends on what I'm playing.
Then, I set the GEQ for a little mid & treble boost, but I do not cut the bass.
This also gives me a great volume boost when soloing!

This way, the amp is doing all the work and the FX are the icing on the cake!

I just wish the DC-5 was available in a shorthead size. The only other amp I would want to own at the moment is a DC-5. I'm very happy with my DC-3, but the DC-5 is probably just a bit better because of the 6L6s - the cleans probably benefit the most.

Believe it or not, the DC-3 has better cleans.
I changed the transformers to Mercury Magnetics and it made a huge difference though!

The distortion sounds much fuller than the DC-3 though.

I've always looked at it as:
DC-3 for any 60's, 70's & 80's rock
DC-5 for harder stuff
DC-10 for kick *** cleans and even more thick distortion than the 3 & 5!

Monsta-Tone said:
Believe it or not, the DC-3 has better cleans.

Really?! Never would have guessed. I still need to get me some high gain JJs to test in the clean gain stages to see if they help with the cleans like they did for your Recto... anything else I can do to get the best out of my cleans (aside from MM trannies)? Some days they sound great and other days they sound too 'grindy' and have zero headroom. Split coils certainly sound the best so it seems the input gain is a big factor.

Turn the channel Master up as high as you can go and still stand the hissing.
Then slowly turn the Gain up to the volume you want.

You will most likely have to find the happy spot between these 2 knobs.
I usually try this with the EQ knobs fairly close to center.

I think my knobs are usually like this:
Gain 5-6
Treb 6
Mids 5
Bass 6-7
Pres 0-5 depending on the room
Rev 4-5
Master 6

I've just recently started experimenting with lower gain and higher master settings. I really like the results, makes it sound more Fender-ish because the power amp is getting a ton of signal this way. It does increase the noise floor some though.

I've really noticed that the Presence and EQ knobs have a dramatic effect on the overdrive that is available from the clean channel.

I like darker sounds, so I tend to keep the Pres lower.
I also changed the V-30 in my DC-3 (when I had it) to a Mojotone Heritage 30 clone.
You might try a C-90 or a Hellatone 60L instead of the V-30 too.
I like V-30's, but not in that amp. It's already mid-heavy and you're just accentuating the mids with the speaker!

Interesting approach! I've never thought to crank the master and dial in the volume with the gain knob. I usually run the gain about 3 and then use the master to get the volume up.

Oddly enough, I just bought some WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speakers) V30 clones called the Veteran 30. They are practically new (bought them slightly used). They are supposed to have an 'improved upper mid' to fix the spike that the V30s have. I swapped one out last night in one of my Recto 1x12s and had about 10 minutes to mess around with it (and compare it to the V30 in my other Recto cab). I didn't mess with the cleans but the lead channel sounds better with the Veteran. It has a more even tone with plenty of bite still. I'm gonna try to record clips tonight comparing the two speakers. I had a Veteran in my RoV combo (replaced a C90) and loved it. I'm not a fan of the C90 - it's got a certain characteristisc to it that drive me nuts - I just can't put my finger on what it is that I don't like about that speaker...

I'll definitely try your cranked master suggestion and those settings as well tonight! Thanks!

I tried out your clean channel dialing approach and settings. Sounds great!

As for the speakers... I'm favoring the V30s at the moment. The Veteran is practically new and really needs to be broken in. It is brighter and stiffer than the V30 as a result of it's newness I think. The V30 sounds more lush. I'll give it some time to break in before making the final call. Is there a good way to break in a speaker? I never play that loud since I'm in an apartment.

I captured some sound clips of both speakers as planned, but I need to trim and upload them still. I think it is a pretty good comparison although it's probably not a fair one since the V30 is well broken in and the Veteran is definitely not...

I made the mistake of tweaking/playing too long last night. I should have taken a break, but the wife was out for a few hours and I was trying to take advantage! Thanks to the ear fatigue I don't really know how good my tone was by the end... :/

Back