.50 cal+ Single Tube question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venaleschatology

Reaction score
I noticed I can run my 50 on only one tube. I'd prefer it this way, it breaks up quicker and is slightly quieter.

BUT..... Will it kill my amp?

I'd keep an eye on that tube.....

Pulling one tube can effect the impedance of the output stage..... that is what the transformer "sees" as a load with one tube.
I know on the Stiletto Ace, it can be enough to increase the idle current significantly, and may result in more heat being dissipated by that one tube, even "redplating" in worst case.

If possible, measure the idle current, both with and without a tube on the other side.
And watch for any glowing on the plate of the remaining tube.

If idle current is reasonable, and you see no sign of 'redplating', then you are likely OK to run like this.
An example is my 50/50...it don't seem to care if there's a tube on both sides or not, but My Ace does not like it.

I've tried it with both amps and I find it's a little bit quieter and has more "grit" to the tone, but I prefer to leave them all in....
Good luck! :D

Cheers mate, I'll do that.

If it does all go pair shaped, red plating and odd idle current, do you know what will happen... I'm okay with blowing a tube every now and then but an output tranny would be another matter.

Well, the tube is far more likely to go before the transformer would, but if the tubes are going frequently it's because of too much current through 'em. And if it goes through the tube, it goes through the tranny as well.

Can't say how long it would last under those conditions.....
Good luck :D

Back