DC Mods that are easy to do!

DC-2, 3, 5, 10
50 Caliber

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

BlackBoxy
Mark III

Re: DC Mods that are easy to do!

Post by BlackBoxy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:01 am

mysquaredontfit wrote:I have a DC5B and I'd like to do the blanket removal mod. Could someone point out (in a photo) the location of the 75pf cap I need to replace? This would also obviously key me into the location of the 120pf caps I need to remove, which are described as right next to the 75.

I'm not so great with relating the schematic to the physical layout (yet) and I'm hoping doing this mod will help to keep me from having to spend money on speakers to help brighten/clear up the amp. Thank in advance for any help, this forum and these threads have been great.

on the right side, next to lateral two big orange caps , lower part of the pics, you can see 3 ceramic caps, 2 75pf and 1 120 pf, personaly i removed it , and later recaped it with 45pf ones, removing it brings very little chimes but osciliating noise to power tube, less focused

regards

jpistolas
Mark II

Post by jpistolas » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:40 am

Real quick ignorant question on the series loop mod: Once the red & two orange wires are tied they don't have to be connected to the pot any more, correct?

Spent the weekend working on a faulty chorus pedal so before I jump in and finally get to this necessary mod I wanted to be double sure.

Thanks for all the informative posts in this thread.
DC-5B Head-Mesa 2x12 Halfback

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:50 am

Not needed at all. I usually remove the pot and add an adjustable negative feedback or mid boost or something cool......Even a plastic plug in the hole is better than a knob I'll never use....
Elvis said.......
Amp techs do get shocked. :shock:

BlackBoxy
Mark III

Post by BlackBoxy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 am

my best so far mod was replacing all icepeak bright caps ceramics to styroflex 600v 500pf and less along the signal tone stacks, lead and clean chanels!

:shock: :shock:

trebles became smooth and driveable , puts lot chimes on both chanels!

did you try that Monsta?

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:28 am

I usually use Silver Mica caps in place of the ceramics.
I've never replaced all of them in an amp though, only the ones in the preamp signal path.
I have a DC-3 that is still a little raspy. I should try this!

I did add a choke to the DC-3, what a difference that made in warmth, bass, and sustain!

Which brand of Styroflex caps did you use?
Elvis said.......

BlackBoxy
Mark III

Post by BlackBoxy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:51 am

Monsta-Tone wrote:I usually use Silver Mica caps in place of the ceramics.
I've never replaced all of them in an amp though, only the ones in the preamp signal path.
I have a DC-3 that is still a little raspy. I should try this!

I did add a choke to the DC-3, what a difference that made in warmth, bass, and sustain!

Which brand of Styroflex caps did you use?

hi Monsta, i use KS-431 630v one philips or malory's one!

on my dc5, i just replaced ceramics caps of the tone stacks of clean chanel "btween v1a v4b" 250pf and 2nf, jack's bright cap 120pf, and the two tone stacks "v2a v2b " and after "v3a" of lead chanel both 500pf!

i left all other amp ceramics caps or mica caps around !

good luck experimenting!

i'm trying to get a Output trainee , not from mecury magnetics , too expansive, would like to find something cheaper!

bough this too, from a Uk pal , works great, my cables were dry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171653944352?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

P
Last edited by BlackBoxy on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:06 am

:D Thanks! I'll look into those.

Allen Amps has some really good Heyboer transformers. He has one with multiple taps that is meant as an upgrade for a Fender Pro Reverb that sounds incredible! I think it's under $100.
www.allenamps.com
Elvis said.......

BlackBoxy
Mark III

Post by BlackBoxy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Monsta-Tone wrote::D Thanks! I'll look into those.

Allen Amps has some really good Heyboer transformers. He has one with multiple taps that is meant as an upgrade for a Fender Pro Reverb that sounds incredible! I think it's under $100.
http://www.allenamps.com

Thx i'll get a look!

made lil changes on both clean and lead chanels tone stacks , i yanked out all 0.022 715p , i get better creammy mediums with 225p or 6ps 600v, kept 0.1 bass 715p, brings tighder clearer bass !

a must try !

experimented 33uf F&T and also TAD caps, but nothing come close of the 30uf filter sprague atom with the dc5, so they are back, bizare filter caps brings so different feelingsd, isn't ?

P

jpistolas
Mark II

Post by jpistolas » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:44 am

Monsta-Tone wrote:Not needed at all. I usually remove the pot and add an adjustable negative feedback or mid boost or something cool......Even a plastic plug in the hole is better than a knob I'll never use....
Thank you for helping to point out what should have been obvious to me. Now once I get this converted to serial maybe I'll finally find a delay pedal that "sounds right" to me.
DC-5B Head-Mesa 2x12 Halfback