Right on Bob!
Wish I had a DC-3 to try this on now!
Elvis said.......
Amp techs do get shocked. :shock:

boogietone
Donating Member

Re: DC Mods that are easy to do!

Post by boogietone » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:26 pm

The Serial EFX loop mod will work fine on a DC-10 right? Probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask before I tear the amp apart.
Thanks in advance!
Also, has anyone modded the reverb with a larger value pot or any other reverb mod for that matter? What were the results?
Guitars: HamerUSA T-62 and Centaura
Amp: Mesa DC-5a
EFX: Boss SD-1, DD-3

MJ Slaughter
Mark IV

Post by MJ Slaughter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:23 am

Yes it works with the DC-10. I've done it to a DC-3, 5 and 10 with good results.

DC-5 head, 2x12 Stagecraft w/EVM12Ls, 1x12 Stagecraft w/EVM12L, Digitech GSP1101/Control 2, GT-100

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 am

Yeah, it works for any DC!
Like I said before, I usually make all of the connections on the Send jack (after replacing the Send jack with a Switchcraft 12A jack) and then use the extra hole for something else.
Once the connections are done on the Mix pot, you will notice that only 1 tab is being used and the thing is just taking up space.

As for the Reverb mod, you can do just about anything with it. I would have to look through my notes for specifics, but I'm pretty sure I changed the circuit to the same Reverb as the Maverick on my old one.
Elvis said.......

boogietone
Donating Member

Post by boogietone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Serial EFX loop and master volume mods completed. Amp sounds great and my Boss DD-3 is no longer
distorting. Thanks for the info everyone. Now, the reverb on the lead channel is barely audible even when
the reverb is cranked. Is that just the nature of the amp? Will the larger value pot fix that or is there something
else I should try? Also, how hard is the more gain mod to do or is that something I need to send the amp for?
Thanks again!

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:23 pm

The reverb will just not be as present on the dirty channel.

As for the more gain, there is a little you can do and still retain the clarity of the lead channel. Basically, if you add too much more, it will get mushy.
Elvis said.......

BobR
Mark II

Post by BobR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:07 pm

The higher the gain is set the less reverb you get. I put a very high gain Sylvania long plate in my reverb position and that gave it a bit more. Bob

boogietone
Donating Member

Post by boogietone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Ughh! My Boss delay is still making that noise. Maybe the pedal is bad? It is powered by a Voodoo Labs PPII.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to forgo any gain mods and get a Xotic EP booster. That thing works great.
I can't seem to stick with a set up though and keep selling EP booster's. This would be my third one. There is also a
humm to the amp. I can hear it a little in standby too. I can feel the transformer vibrating at the same freq
as the hum. What does that mean?
Thanks a million. Boogieboard is awesome!

boogietone
Donating Member

Post by boogietone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Well, tried the DD-3 with just battery power and changed cables with no joy. Still sounds garbled. The repeats sound distorted and garbled
like the input of the pedal is being overdiven. When I did the EFX loop mod I just snipped the white wire and capped then moved the red wire
to the center lug of the mix pot with the two orange wires. Did I miss something?

BobR
Mark II

Post by BobR » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:09 am

Not sure. Recheck all your work. Took me a lot of trial and error to come up with a simple bias mod for the amp myself. Patience is key.

What is wrong with the stock loop? I use mine all the time no problem with GEQ's and an Ibanez DE7. Bob

boogietone
Donating Member

Post by boogietone » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Fixed the DD-3. I just went through it and touched up all the solder joints. Didn't think it would work but it did. The solder joints
especially where the ac power supply comes in looked pretty shady. Also, modded the EFX loop back to serial. Might have a DD-6
for sale soon. I bought that to replace the DD-3. Thanks for all the help.

crguti
Mark II

Post by crguti » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:02 am

456Onno456 wrote:3. There might be an option to do a modern voicing mod on the gain-channel, i will test this and post the results.

@Monster-tone: the 470k input resistor on the gain-channel is not a fundamental part of that channel. To be precisely, the 1M 500pf combination of the clean channel is still active when the gain channel is activated and the additional 470k in parallel will indeed result in a 391k 500pf combination. This may sound dull. One could remove it or replace it with a 5M resistor.

Max
so, anyone has tried that?

evilpresence
Bottle Rocket

Post by evilpresence » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Finally bought my own house so I can play at a more reasonable level than 0.5 on the master output. Cranked her up to 1 and the whole house shook so I went for the volume mod and snipped the resistor off. It's a bit more user friendly from 0.5 to 1.5 but anything past 1.5 I should probably wear ear plugs.

I saw on this thread http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51608 that some are playing above 5 on the output. No way in hell I am able to do that.

Is there something I am missing?
Guitar:
Mesa Boogie Engineering - DC 5
PRS CE-24 1994 NAMM Edition w/ Bird Inlays - White
ESP Eclipse - Antique White

Bass:
Ashdown Engineering - EB 15-180 EVO II Combo
Ibanez BTB1005 5 String Bass - Natural

bhsbhswarp
Mark II

Post by bhsbhswarp » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:55 am

If you can't get the amp past 1.5 your not even using it..

evilpresence
Bottle Rocket

Post by evilpresence » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:11 am

bhsbhswarp wrote:If you can't get the amp past 1.5 your not even using it..
Thank you for the constructive response but I was looking for something a little different. I am not joking when I say having the master output at 1.5 is like I'm at a show standing right next to the speakers. I've always thought that is just how the amp is, since I've had it for 9 years. Living in an apartment or twin house does not allow me to even test it at higher volumes. Like I said in the previous post, since I bought a SFH, I now can turn it up a bit. Before I was using an attenuator but didn't like the sound it was producing.

My master output is a 1 Meg pot. Is that what everyone else has? Maybe I need to resolder the master output contacts...
Guitar:
Mesa Boogie Engineering - DC 5
PRS CE-24 1994 NAMM Edition w/ Bird Inlays - White
ESP Eclipse - Antique White

Bass:
Ashdown Engineering - EB 15-180 EVO II Combo
Ibanez BTB1005 5 String Bass - Natural