Just bought a DC5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogietone

Reaction score
Can't wait to try it out! I sold my MKIV to get it. Originally I was using my MKIV to help fund a MKV but in the end
couldn't swallow the price tag. Then this DC5 popped up on Ebay so I pulled the trigger (stupid BIN button gets me everytime!).
So what are the typical mods again for this amp? I did a quick search and saw a few things. A master volume pot mod, a
reverb pot mod. Am I missing any? What tubes are you all running? I don't know what this amp is loaded with. I sold my 3 sets
of Mesa STR454's with the MKIV. Guess I'll order some SED winged C's. I have a bunch of Sylvania, RCA and EI 12AX7's laying
around. Anyways, any info would be great! This amp will sound sweet next to my VHT!

I just did the volume pot mod as well as modding the loop to serial. I run the Svetlana Winged =C= 6L6's and a hodge podge of preamp tubes. The amp doesn't need any help. It's a great amp.

If you dont mind dropping the cash, the upgrade trannies from Mercury are great. I think it depends on the music you play though. I play a lot of blues, and the trannies really made the amp sound very chimey. Playing a strat on posistion 4, you can get really close to the high notes on SRV's Lenny, using the rythm channel and a bit of grit.

I also run a 5751 in V1, gets me a bit more clean.

I will say i never touch the lead channel though

The volume pot mod was already done on my DC-3, but I did the FX loop mod. I've not heard of the reverb knob mod. What's the deal with it?

I know the 3 and 5 are different, but I love both channels equally. I'm running all JJs at the moment. I've got some other tubes coming that i'm gonna try out as well. I lucked out on some NOS tubes for a steal.

I think the reverb mod was just changing the value of the reverb pot.
How do you do the serial loop mod?
I'll look and see if the volume pot mod is done when I get mine.
I'm very intrigued by the MM tranny swap. We'll see how it sounds
when I get it. Hopefully I'll get it by tomorrow or Saturday. It isn't
too far away from here. How hard is it to change out trannies? I can
solder pretty well. I've been doing the electronics on my guitars for years
and a little repair here and there on some amps.

The loop mod is easy. It's the same as on the Recto series amps. Monsta-Tone sent me a diagram. I'll send it to you as well if you give me your email address.

What's the different pot value do for the reverb?

The reverb mod I'm talking about is in this thread:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30874&p=227523&hilit=dc5+mods#p227523

and is this quote from jamme61:

just thought I post an answer for someone else. I got a response on the Plexi forum, to raise the value of the reverb pot = better reverb. also you can mess with the input bias resistor. still have to check this out but, if someone is in the same boat as me,(don't like the reverb) you can try this stuff out.

PM sent with my email addy.
Thanks!

Thanks for the link! I'm not up on my pot value knowledge so that may be overkill - i only use a little reverb in the clean channel anyway... i'll give that thread a read anyway!

I sent you an email with all the 'goodies' that Monsta-Tone sent me... Good luck!

The trannies are pretty easy to install. The output trannie has a couple wires on the board and speaker jack. The power trannie actualyl comes onto the board with a special connector. If you are lucky, you can use a really small screw driver and pop out the old trannie wires, then press in the new ones. If you do this it will make sense when you look at that. Taking from the power trannie, when i installed my output transformer,i added a molex connector for quick disconnect ( the ability to quickly field strip my amp is the result of way to much tinkering...and problems) my dc-5 was def on the war path...or some coke heads van before i got it.

JJ ECC83S in the preamp ftw. I use them as well, and they're perfect.

I'm thinking about modding my volume knob, where can I get one where I can still use my current volume knob, but have a smoother taper?

dwsabianguy said:

I'm thinking about modding my volume knob, where can I get one where I can still use my current volume knob, but have a smoother taper?

Clipping the resistor out of the signal path takes care of that.

Boogietone, I am a new DC5 owner too and I haven't actually gigged it yet, mine was used and my tech was backed up with work, so I finally have it at home this week. Let me share my DC experience of this week.
Not reading and researching enough, and not trusting the previous owner, I ordered all Mesa tubes to start out with a clean slate. I plugged them in and was disappointed with the amount of hiss/noise. Well, I finally started researching what tubes might make a difference and traded e-mails from various forums I belong to (as well as this one) and various tube gurus (bob @eurotubes, Dougstubes, etc) I got varying responses and all different suggestions. Tone is so subjective though.. I was after quiet operation and road durability. I mean, afterall, between Mesa's Eq and my pedal board, I think overall tone will be fine.I remembered I had some preamp tubes left over from previous tube-ectomys over the years. I pulled all the Mesa preamp tubes and did the following hodge-podge:
V1: JJecc83s
V2: JJecc83s
V3: GT12ax7a
V4: GT12ax7a
V5: Mesa stock12ax7
V6: Mesa stock 12ax7
The amp quieted significantly. Doug at Dougs tubes says he doesn't like JJs in V1 or 2, and I haven't actually played it yet, but I can switch the GTs if need be. Almost consistently, all people I have talked to or e-mailed LOVE the SED winged C 6L6gc's for the Output tubes..so I may go that route later. After spending over $100.00 bucks for tubes, (most I didn't need), I'll play with what I have for now and see how it sounds. Doug's tubes and Eurotubes (both great guys) have 'tonepaks' of tubes for this amp if your interested? I'll report back to this thread with updates. Finally, Monstatone has been wonderful with suggestions...Thank you sir! :D
Shaun

I'm a JJ fan in the DC series, F series, and Stilettos. They are the quietest tubes available and sounds awesome in these amps. They make the cleans cleaner with no hiss, and the distortion is tighter and crunchier with much less hiss as well.

I did not like the JJs in my Rectoverb at all though. They were harsh.

As far as preamp tubes go I have NOS Sylvania's, RCA's and EI's. Also, various other preamp tubes. I was already planning on SED =C= 6L6's. I've always
really liked those. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm guessing the speaker is a stock C90. I have a recto 2X12 with EV12L's also.
For effects, in front of the amp will be a tuner, and a treblebooster and Wah. I also have a BBE Boosta Grande I can try but I usually use that with the VHT.
In the loop will be a MXR Carbon Copy and a Mr. Springgy reverb pedal. If the amps reverb is good though I won't be using the pedal. I will be modding the loop and
master volume at the very least if those mods aren't already done.

I really like my Recto cabs with the V30s in them with my DC-3. They are more aggressive than a C90. I'm actually not really a fan of C90s TBH...

madryan said:
dwsabianguy said:

Which resistor, and where in the signal path? I'm assuming it'll be right on the volume knob, but I didn't pay much attention when I last opened it up.

dwsabianguy said:
madryan said:
dwsabianguy said:

Which resistor, and where in the signal path? I'm assuming it'll be right on the volume knob, but I didn't pay much attention when I last opened it up.

It's either right on the pot if you've got the older DC-5 or it's on the board right near where the volume pot leads hook in. Next time I have mine out of the chassis I'm going to snap some pix and come up with a tutorial so it's easy. Take some pix of your board and post them and we'll let you know which one to do.

Back