50+ Volume between channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizen.one

Reaction score
Hi, just want to ask some of you owners, i play cal50+ and ive gain about 7, master 0-3, lead volume 3 and i play with EQ,so its pretty boosted. Have no problem with, but my Clean channel is louder than the Lead so when i want to make noise and roll after clean passages, i just drop volume and the surprise never comes :D is it normal or can it be because of some preamp tube?
thx for opinion
m

Your wording is quite confusing but I can tell you're talking about the relative volume difference between lead and rhythm in the 50 caliber +.

Boogie's amps that use cascading gain from the clean channel to generate a lead tone (the studio 22, 50 caliber/+, studio preamp) are notoriously difficult to balance channel volume while maintaining a 'clean' rhythm tone and a bitey distortion channel.

The most common fix is strategically changing preamp tubes to increase clean headroom and lead channel gain, or installing a custom gain pot on the back.

The 50 Cal+ has Volume (Gain), Master, and Lead Master, so there are separate Masters for Clean and Dirty sounds.
There really shouldn't be that much of a problem balancing Lead and Rhythm sounds, unless maybe you're playing at extremely quiet levels, where 1 1/2 is fine and 2 is too loud.
A problem for me is the Gain dials in pretty fast, so at about 3, you get a fairly clean Rhythm sound, but the Lead starts to get insane at that point.

well, i use EVM12L, so i have less gain than with celestions etc. Then i use Tungsol 12ax7 on 1st position, JJecc83s on 2nd, ehx12ax7 on third, jjecc81 on 4th and ehx12ax7eh on 5th. So i think that because od the Ecc81 i have less gain. For me is the way to get the tone, that i have preamp max on 3, because of gain which produces 3+ Lead volume and the tone becomes not so readable. So i like my tone after all, but little problem is just the volume. So i can solve this two ways - make Lead more loud or make rhytm less loud. Perhaps changing of some preamp tube will fix it, i have them there for more than year, so they perhaps pretty tired :D
sry for my english, but when im home, i start to think like home, not like when im in english speaking country, so its perhaps bit confusing :)

Back