New member says hello

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tridders

Reaction score
Hi,

I have returned to the Boogie fold. I sold a much gigged and much loved Studio 22+ and instantly regretted it.

A couple of weeks ago, a customer brought in a broken .50 Caliber+ combo for repair. He told me the amp had a harsh rasping distorted tone and that someone had told him that the output transformer may be shot.

Whilst with me, he spotted a 'Mesia' Zoom 100 combo in the workshop that I had recently restored and he offered me the 50 Cal and a cash balance on a trade in. He collects amps and he was attracted by the 70s Japanese MkI 'clone' as they are quite rare. It took me all of 50 mS to decide :)

I quickly (like, less than a minute) discovered the fault. The bias range resistor(s) had drifted way off, effectively shutting off the output valves. Fixed 'er up in a few minutes.

The amp presently sits on my bench whilst I rebuild it. I have installed the 'drive' mod on the lead channel and I have installed a pot in the bias feed. I've also built a channel footswitch (it was missing). I get the cabinet back next week. A good friend of mine is replacing the badly worn tolex. The amp sounds just like I remembered. The clean tone is breathtaking, whilst the lead tone is all Boogie. With the drive mod, I can now get a good 'crunch' tone too.

Sourced a new grille badge today. This amp will most likely end up being my main gigging amp.

Hope to come in here from time to time and I'll try to help with queries.

Anyway, hello from a new member.

regards,

Trev

Welcome!
I too have a 22+, and it's not going anywhere! 8)

Attempted to sell a couple years ago, but did not get much response.
As it is in like new condition, I would probably not be able to replace it with one that nice, if I got rid of it. :shock:

It's mainly used for practice at home, now.

The bias range resistor(s) had drifted way off

So much for Mesa's claim to "trouble free" biasing, eh? :lol: :lol:

Good luck with that .50 Cal. Sounds like you did well on that deal! :D

Latest posts

Back