EL84s vs. 6L6s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmchicago

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still looking to pick up DC series, and I was looking DC-3, but I have a question: I spend most of my time clean, and noticed that the -2 and -3 models use all EL84s while the -5 and -10 use 6L6s for the power tubes. I currently own a (bad) amp with all EL84s, and the clean always has a bit of an "edge" to it. That can be a good thing, but it probably doesn't work for me. I'm looking for a real nice clean. Do the 6L6's give a better clean? Am I better with the DC-5? Or does the DC-3 have an equally good clean.

I ask because I've noticed people mention the F-50 as having a better clean tone over the F-30, and noted that the F-50 has 6L6 power tubes, while the lower wattage have all EL-84s. Then I noticed the same pattern on the DC series.

Thanks!

rhythmchicago said:
Hi,

I'm still looking to pick up DC series, and I was looking DC-3, but I have a question: I spend most of my time clean, and noticed that the -2 and -3 models use all EL84s while the -5 and -10 use 6L6s for the power tubes. I currently own a (bad) amp with all EL84s, and the clean always has a bit of an "edge" to it. That can be a good thing, but it probably doesn't work for me. I'm looking for a real nice clean. Do the 6L6's give a better clean? Am I better with the DC-5? Or does the DC-3 have an equally good clean.

I ask because I've noticed people mention the F-50 as having a better clean tone over the F-30, and noted that the F-50 has 6L6 power tubes, while the lower wattage have all EL-84s. Then I noticed the same pattern on the DC series.

Thanks!

If you're looking for pristine clean then a DC-5 or DC-10 is going to be better. If you like that nice harmonically rich dirty clean one gets from something like a Vox you're better off with the DC-3. The clean on my DC-5 is really quite nice. It's not quite on par with my Lonestar but it's still really good. The Pull boost knob allows you to use it like a crunch channel if you want as well.

The guys in the band that have worked with me awhile liked my old V-Twin Rack to 50/50 because of the superior clean tone it had, which was nice and chimey. That had 6L6s, which was part of the reason I was asking. I think I'll hunt me down a DC-5 then. Thanks!

email me if you are intersted. i have a DC-5 that is fully loaded.

el84's break up a lot earlier than 6L6's, so yes, the cleans will be a little more gritty with EL84's. I had a 20/20 with a studio pre for a while and i had a tough time gettin gthe cleans to stay very clean at useable volumes. I've got a DC-5 now, and with the channel gain rolled back, and the channel volume turned up, i get quite a nice clean tone.

Latest posts

Back