DC5 Gain issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf5

Reaction score
Hello Booggieheads! I am new so forgive me...

But I need your help...

I have a DC5 combo and have been plying it for years now. I run the gain real high to get the nastiest possible sounds on my overdrive. Problem I have though is that it feeds back so bad. I mean, obviously amps feed back when the gain is pumped. But it seems over sensative compared to other amps I have owned. Just feeds back much easier and louder. And it seems to have gotten worse over the the past few years.

I'd like to keep the gain up in order to not loose my crunch.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the "hotness" on the gain??

Why? What did you do? :? 8) :shock:

Ha! Just kidding! :lol: Welcome! :D

It sounds like the first tube (v1, generally) is a bit "microphonic".
No big deal....just swap it with another if you have one. All the preamp tubes (the smaller ones) are probably 12ax7.
If you don't have a spare you can usually pull out the reverb tube and try that. It's likely located in v4, but should be the second to last one (of the smallest ones) from the input jack.

Won't hurt the amp to run it without the reverb tube in and you can see if that makes a difference. If not, then try it in v2, v3, and so on (one at a time) until the problem subsides. Although with what you describe, it's likely the 1st or 2nd one.

Yes, Mesa amps are high gain and you may still get feedback at higher levels, but it should be controllable if the tubes are in good shape.

Please note that it is possible more than 1 tube is faulty and adding to the problem, but this is rare. Also, Mesa amps rarely have problems besides bad tubes.

Best rule is: check the simple and cheaper stuff first (& tubes are!).

Good luck! :)

Old BF Shred said:

Why? What did you do? :? 8) :shock:

Ha! Just kidding! :lol: Welcome! :D

It sounds like the first tube (v1, generally) is a bit "microphonic".
No big deal....just swap it with another if you have one. All the preamp tubes (the smaller ones) are probably 12ax7.
If you don't have a spare you can usually pull out the reverb tube and try that. It's likely located in v4, but should be the second to last one (of the smallest ones) from the input jack.

Won't hurt the amp to run it without the reverb tube in and you can see if that makes a difference. If not, then try it in v2, v3, and so on (one at a time) until the problem subsides. Although with what you describe, it's likely the 1st or 2nd one.

Yes, Mesa amps are high gain and you may still get feedback at higher levels, but it should be controllable if the tubes are in good shape.

Please note that it is possible more than 1 tube is faulty and adding to the problem, but this is rare. Also, Mesa amps rarely have problems besides bad tubes.

Best rule is: check the simple and cheaper stuff first (& tubes are!).

Good luck! :)

LOL, I was apologizing hoping this was not the zillionth time this question has been posted. Thanks for the welcome and advice :p

I thought it might be the pre-amp tubes. They have been in there a while...

Thanks again!

Old BF, you are right on about this..

Found this on the MS site:
Microphonic problems usually appear in the form of a ringing or high pitched squealing that gets worse as the gain or volume is increased thus are more noticeable in the higher gain Lead modes. Microphonic problems are easily identified because the problem is still present even with the instruments' volume off or unplugged altogether - unlike pick-up feedback which ceases as the instrument is turned down.

This is exactly my problem...thanks again..

Back