DC-2 or DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmchicago

Reaction score
Excepting the EQ, which I really couldn't care less about, is there any reason to choose a DC-3 or DC-2 over the other? The one I heard and loved was the DC-2, but there seems to be a general preference towards the DC-3 on the Internet? Can anyone weigh in?

ThankS

I know you say you don't care about the GEQ, but in all honesty, i would not like my DC-3 NEARLY as much if it did not have the GEQ. It takes the vintage tone inherent in a DC-3 and transforms it into a much more modern BEAST in the classic 'V' shape. Other than that I guess the clean channel is going to be slightly better on the 3 compared to the 2...

The GEQ is a must IMO.

MusicManJP6 said:
I know you say you don't care about the GEQ, but in all honesty, i would not like my DC-3 NEARLY as much if it did not have the GEQ. It takes the vintage tone inherent in a DC-3 and transforms it into a much more modern BEAST in the classic 'V' shape. Other than that I guess the clean channel is going to be slightly better on the 3 compared to the 2...

The GEQ is a must IMO.

Then I'm going to skip the DC-2 and hunt me down a DC-3. I momentarily considered an F series amp, but I've wanted the DC series for so long, I'm going with that. Thanks for the help!

I used to own a F-30 combo. The DC-3 has a MUCH better distortion channel. The clean channels are both nice, but the F series has a little more lush clean. The DC has better reverb (tube driven!) and the clean channel is on the verge of breakup - it purrs! I like the clean channel because you can boost it with like a Tube Screamer and it breaks up really easily. I like to use a TS (one of the models on the GT-8) with some delay and it is creamy!!

I've heard the DC series sound better as you go up in power with the DC-10 being the cream of the crop. I came upon my DC-3 shorthead for $400 shipped so I couldn't pass it up! It's my most favorite Mesa to date. It has all JJ tubes in it. It's crisp, not too tight, not too loose, not too dark, not too bright, not muddy..... it's really an awesome amp. It has plenty of gain without too much compression (even at max gain!!). There's a perfect amount of string separation and note definition (in chords). OK, i'm done rambling... haha. Get one! You'll love it.

I have the DC-2 and do not see where the GEQ would be useful to me. I also own a Mark IV, and I never use the GEQ. I have tried it a few times but prefer all tones without it. Now, if you are after modern tones then I totally agree with MusicManJP6. However, if you don't like the F-series amps I don't see how the GEQ would help you, as the GEQ would make the amp more modern sounding (ala F-series). I traded away my F-30 because it sounded too modern for my taste. I would not limit my search to a DC-3 on the basis of the GEQ alone. I would look for both and take the first one that I found in pristine condition, regardless of GEQ. Either way, your better off than you would be with an F-series amp IMHO.

MusicManJP6 said:
It's crisp, not too tight, not too loose, not too dark, not too bright, not muddy..... it's really an awesome amp. It has plenty of gain without too much compression (even at max gain!!). There's a perfect amount of string separation and note definition (in chords). OK, i'm done rambling... haha. Get one! You'll love it.

That's a good "Goldie Locks" description MusicMan. :) It would make me want to check one out if I didn't already own a DC. :D

MJ Slaughter said:
MusicManJP6 said:
It's crisp, not too tight, not too loose, not too dark, not too bright, not muddy..... it's really an awesome amp. It has plenty of gain without too much compression (even at max gain!!). There's a perfect amount of string separation and note definition (in chords). OK, i'm done rambling... haha. Get one! You'll love it.

That's a good "Goldie Locks" description MusicMan. :) It would make me want to check one out if I didn't already own a DC. :D

I speak the truth! The voicing and character of the amp is 'perfect'!

The F series gain structure is much more solid state whereas the DC has a much more tube-like tone and feel IMO. The DC's channel EQs are also more responsive. The GEQ is like a fully adjustable 'contour' in a sense. The F's contour mode was a nice touch but I always thought it was silly for it to be a set mode (almost like an EQ you can't adjust).

MusicManJP6 said:
The F series gain structure is much more solid state whereas the DC has a much more tube-like tone and feel IMO. The DC's channel EQs are also more responsive. The GEQ is like a fully adjustable 'contour' in a sense. The F's contour mode was a nice touch but I always thought it was silly for it to be a set mode (almost like an EQ you can't adjust).

That is a good way to describe the difference. At bedroom volumes I did not notice the difference and thought the F-30 was going to be superior to the DC-2. However, I use my amps live every week and once I used the F-30 at playing volume I began to dislike it. It had a strange mid frequency that sounded honky and artificial to me no matter what I did to the eq. It was very present when I rolled the volume down and sounded like an am radio or something (even with the mids scooped out). Also, the highs seemed to be more exaggerated and the amp was all crunch. At playing volume, my DC-2 does not have the strange mid frequency (am radio??) and is darker and smoother sounding. I can use the lead channel only and roll the volume down for cleaner sounds, which did not work nearly as well with the F-30.

I can't thank everyone enough for their comments, and they were all very helpful. I am going to hunt down a DC instead of an F series, and will probably look for a DC-3 or DC-5. When I had a Mark IIC+ (pauses to sob), I never used the GEQ much and thought it added complication, but I think I would want a little more headroom for the clean, which is why I'll probably hunt down a -3 or -5.

Thanks everyone!

Back