DC-3 head - first impressions... (video clip added)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
OK, so I didn't have a ton of time to spend with the amp last night but after rigging a cable to attach to the Tech21 PW60 cab's speaker leads I was able to turn some knobs and give it a little test run. The clean channel breaks up pretty early (about 4 or 5 on the gain knob) but with low gain and high master it can stay fairly clean. I like it best without the GEQ so far. The channel EQ responds beautifully to subtle changes and all settings are musical - even presence at 10. It's not a crystal clean type of clean channel, but it is very nice still and the split coil tones on my JP sounded killer! The Lead channel reminds me a lot of my old Mark IV I used to have but not as stiff. There is plenty of clarity and note definition in chords and leads alike. The channel EQ is very responsive in this channel as well allowing the tone to be dark, bright, or anything in between - never harsh or muddy. This channel sounds great without the GEQ (very vintagey like the Mark IV) but it sounds KILLER with the GEQ engaged using the classic 'V' shape - very modern. There is not a TON of gain available like on the RoV and Ace (in Fluid Drive), but there is plenty for anything from blues to Hard Rock and I can actually dime the gain without the dynamics totally going to crap. I'd say I could hit the preamp with an OD for a boost and get into some Metal territory if necessary.

After the hour or so I spent with it I am left with the impression that it is a very solid amp that seems to incorporate all the Mesa tones I've heard from my different amps the past two years..... not too tight, not too loose, not too bright, not too dark, not too mushy, not too compressed, and the reverb is better than the Mark IV's, but not as good as the Roadster's. So, I am very happy with it so far! I'm going to mod the loop and volume knob this weekend. I can't wait to run some effects with it! Once my recto 1x12 cabs come in I think this amp will really sound amazing.

MusicManJP6 said:
...There is not a TON of gain available like on the RoV and Ace (in Fluid Drive), but there is plenty for anything from blues to Hard Rock and I can actually dime the gain without the dynamics totally going to crap. I'd say I could hit the preamp with an OD for a boost and get into some Metal territory if necessary.

I wonder if you need some new pre-amp tubes? My DC-5 simply smokes my fromer Stiletto Deuce II in the gain dept. Simply no comparison. More gain than my old Mk IV, too.

Maybe it's 'perceivable' gain... Don't get me wrong... it's got some gain, but it seems the Stiletto and RoV both had more gain (perceivable) gain than anyone should ever need...

I just did a video and put it on YouTube so you be the judge: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPNOHyFxvY

After day 2 i'm still 100% in love!

lockbody said:
MusicManJP6 said:
...There is not a TON of gain available like on the RoV and Ace (in Fluid Drive), but there is plenty for anything from blues to Hard Rock and I can actually dime the gain without the dynamics totally going to crap. I'd say I could hit the preamp with an OD for a boost and get into some Metal territory if necessary.

I wonder if you need some new pre-amp tubes? My DC-5 simply smokes my fromer Stiletto Deuce II in the gain dept. Simply no comparison. More gain than my old Mk IV, too.

I have to agree with lockbody, my DC-2 seems to have more gain than my Mark IV and I prefer the lead channel of the DC-2. The adjective "stiff" is a very good choice in regard to the feel of the Mark IV as compared to the DC's. I wish my Mark IV sounded more like the DC-2 (lead channel). I have owned a Mark III Red Stripe, a Stiletto Deuce (first version), and an F-30 in addition to what I have now, and the voicing on the DC series amps seems to be perfect to my ears. Not to say that all of the others are bad, I just think Mesa had something special going on with the DC series. I think MusicManJP6 summed it up nicely, the DC series amps have a nice balance as far as tone goes.

Heard a Mark IV yesterday for the first time in a while and I have to agree - my DC-2 has more gain! I like the voicing better than any other amp i've had by far. Like you said, MarkofXlnts, it's perfect to my ears as well.

Day 4 and i'm still digging my DC-2! Modded the FX loop to series and while I was in there I found that the volume knob mod had already been done. CooL! My GT-8 sounds even better with the series loop... 8)

Back