DC-5 with Mercury Magnetics - UPDATE!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Man, this amp really rocks with the new transformers!
I have tons of clean headroom and lots of sustain on this channel if I turn the Gain up just a bit.
The Lead channel seems a bit more crisp, which I may alter a little. I really liked the dark moodiness that it had before.

I haven't had the chance to really crank it, but at a decent bedroom volume, it is a whole new amp!

Clean headroom is night and day! I had practically no clean headroom before, now I have to work hard to overdrive the channel!

I think I paid $200 for the pair. They gave me a price break because I sent my original ones in for cloning.

I bet just an OT upgrade would work wonders for an already great amp.

Hmmm, I like the idea of some more "crisp" to Ch.2 , but i like my clean slightly "hot". Are you able to give Ch.1 some "hair"?

i also have the MM trannies and i have to say it really delivers now (just did a recap to get rid of hum and microphonics that prevented me from taking the amp super sonic).

I stay way clear of the lead channel for years, but now, it sounds so lush. I really like pushing it, i would liken it to a good jimi hendrix fuzz pedal, as opposed to the DOD death metal sort of sound. I can also dial out the lead gain and push the lead master and get a great high mid lead that sounds a lot like Johnny Lang's "Lie To Me" solo, minus the Wah.

The rythem channel is now super sweet, i feel like i can take the controls all over the place. The amp went from a two trick pony, to a endless trick horse.

adam972 said:
i also have the MM trannies and i have to say it really delivers now (just did a recap to get rid of hum and microphonics that prevented me from taking the amp super sonic).

I stay way clear of the lead channel for years, but now, it sounds so lush. I really like pushing it, i would liken it to a good jimi hendrix fuzz pedal, as opposed to the DOD death metal sort of sound. I can also dial out the lead gain and push the lead master and get a great high mid lead that sounds a lot like Johnny Lang's "Lie To Me" solo, minus the Wah.

The rythem channel is now super sweet, i feel like i can take the controls all over the place. The amp went from a two trick pony, to a endless trick horse.

You guys are posting stuff I really don't need to read! :)

I know what you mean Lockbody. Just when I'm settled in to an amp I like and appreciate there has got to be someone to show us how it can be better **** it. Monsta-Tone, you've helped me in the past and I appreciate that but now you taunt me with this new tranny. :? I feel I must have it. I had hoped I was done experimenting and buying new amps for awhile but now I think I must have another DC 5 or 10 to do the tranny upgrade to.

Any chance you would be able to record the lead channel so we can get an idea of the difference?

$400 for both transformers is a pretty big wallop for me these days. Which one would you guys recommend doing first for the most noticable difference?

lockbody said:
$400 for both transformers is a pretty big wallop for me these days. Which one would you guys recommend doing first for the most noticable difference?

I believe he said he paid $200 for the pair - so that would be $100 per tranny...

Monsta and i got our trannies from MM at the same time, They actually used our trannies to build the ones the currently sell. I sent them my OT first, and i think i got it for around 90-100 bucks, i then took a short trip to india, and when i got back i contacted Paul at MM about my PT, and he had informed me he had already gotten on from another customer...pretty random that we both sent them in at the same time, so he got me discounted pricing as well. I even emailed him pictures at his request as he wanted to check the clearance of the stock PT and the speaker. I would stary with the OT, it made the biggest change in sound in my amp. A little secret

i think paul and the guys at MM are great. I did notice that webervst.com actually has cheaper prices for the MM trannies...i only see Fender ones listed, but you might contact them. I think we are seeing the difference in manufacturer pricing vs. reseller. But going directly to MM was a treat, helped me out the whole way

Tonight is finally guitar night! :D :D :D

We did get ours for a great price!
I would say that the output transformer will have the biggest effect on the sound. I'm still up in the air as to what a better power transformer will do for me because I rarely get the chance to crank it.

If I were still playing at concert volumes, then the power transformer would probably make a huge difference too. I can see where a standard power transformer might have some serious shortcomings. Just look at any vintage Fender's transformers and you'll see what I mean.
They sound great, but really suffer if used extensively.

Sorry for the gas attack I've apparently caused, but $200 for a new OT is still way cheaper than a new amp. :lol:

Latest posts

Back