I Request a Favor from the Cartel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
Hey guys. My Buddy is a long time DC5 user. He is going to retube for the first time in 6 years. I was curious as to what the preamp tube positions are and what type - high gain, balanced etc - for each position. I dont have any experiance with DC's and i know they are different than the recto's ive been running for years. I would appreciate any help.

The Mesa website has all the manuals.
Download manual for DC-10. (DC-5 manual has no tube task chart. Yes, it's the same for both, except the power tubes are doubled on the DC-10).
Or, click on this:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual%20Cal%20DC-10.pdf

Hope this helps!

Remember to keep the "X" in Xmas!

What sort of flavor is he looking for? My dc5 had stock mesa 12ax7s and recently i decided to switch them around abit. I threw Electro harmonix in all the lead channels...they go microphonic past 7, but all the way up to that i really like the gain...to me its just for joke playing...monster solos....as i really just use the amp for the overdriven high head room rhythem channel. For the rhythem channel i have a 5751 tube in v1...was basically just like this

v1- 5751
v2- EH 12ax7- spriral
v3- EH 12ax7- spriral
v4- EH 12ax7- spriral
v5- stock mesa
v6- stock mesa

as you can see from the dc-3 or dc-10 manual, V1 is the slot closest to the input jack....why there is no diagram in dc-5 i will never know.

This is what Doug of Doug's Tube recommended for my DC 10.

Power Amp
RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's in Quad

Pre Amp
V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V4 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V5 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V6 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Hope this help a bit.

I have a set of Doug's tubes in my DC-5 too. I didn't like what they did for the Clean channel though.
Here is what I ended up with:

V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V4 - Ruby High Gain 12AX7
V5 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V6 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

I also have a matched pair of 'Winged C' 6L6's in mine.
My amp has a bias pot too, so I can use just about any tube.

Monsta-Tone said:
I have a set of Doug's tubes in my DC-5 too. I didn't like what they did for the Clean channel though.
Here is what I ended up with:

V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V4 - Ruby High Gain 12AX7
V5 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V6 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

I also have a matched pair of 'Winged C' 6L6's in mine.
My amp has a bias pot too, so I can use just about any tube.

I just received my order from doug's today of this same setup along with a new quad of JJ EL84's for my DC-3 combo, I am very impressed. The previous owner didnt like the amp.....maybe it was because he had all 12AT7's in the preamp and mismatched duets in the power section :oops: :lol:

Back