New member DC-2 Tube and Speaker swap

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete H.

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a slightly used DC-2 w/contour 2/08, Original tubes, to have a change up from my Super Champ I have had 25+ years. The DC won me over in a hurry. I started to look into preamp tubes for the Super Champ, then for the DC. The DC seemed a little dark on the clean channel, and I wanted to tame the lead channel some. I put NOS JAN 5751's in V2 & V3 which lets you have a little softer adjustment of break up, 5751's have 70% gain of the 12AX7. I also put one in V6 phase splitter a marked difference in cleans, more sparkle, but still not fender ice pick. I then thought it deserved a new box so I made a birds eye maple cabinet. I then found an Ev12L speaker for it, and built a separate box for it.I am really happy with the sound quality of this amp. I started looking into power tubes and found a few opinions that NOS are better than anything new so I just got some NOS JAN Sylvanias " boxes say boxed 11-67" and have put them in with only a couple hours on them so far.
I'm a basement hack who enjoys good tone, I have an American Strat, Les Paul, Howard Roberts and a self made Tele copy all sound good with it. It has plenty of power, and sounds big with the 2nd 12" plugged in.
I haven't tried lower gain tubes in V2 & 3 yet but may in the future. I hope this may help someone on their tone quest.

Back