Mark II Just Came Home

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad737

Reaction score
Hello, all.

Six and a half years ago, I bought a well-worn SR Mark IIC and sent it to Mesa Boogie for a full-service and the C+ upgrade. When it returned home, I was really surprised how much better the amp sounded. I bought the Mesa Five Band EQ pedal, ran it through the loop, and life was good. I’ve kept an eye on the used market, and when I found another IIC, I snapped it up.

My second IIC is an SG, a 60 watt combo with graphic EQ and no Reverb. This one was in even worse condition than my first one. No real damage, but COVERED in grime. This amp has seen action in a LOT of smoky bars over its 38 years. I had no idea if it had ever been given a proper service, so I sent her off to the Petalumians. As always, Rich Duvall and company were a pleasure to deal with. Mike Bendinelli worked his magic on the amp, cleaning the chassis and internals so well, one could eat off it. It looks brand new. But more importantly, he tested every component, cleaned and repaired what needed it, and replaced everything needed to bring it back to stock. Then Mike performed his famous C+ upgrade.

I wasted no time in adding a new complement of tubes. I installed some NOS STR415s, Mullards in V1 and V2, an old RCA in V3, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the phase inverter. This amp sounds AMAZING! One thing I noticed when comparing it to my SR, was that the SG was louder. I had the Input and Output levels on the Five Band EQ pedal set at the notches at noon, but I found I needed to goose the Output level on the pedal to match the volume of the SG with internal EQ. Both amps sound really close, but I find the SG is just a little brighter and more “in your face” than the SR. I assume that’s because the SG doesn’t have the signal running through the Reverb circuit.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier. At some point, I’d like to find a cream Thiele cabinet for it. I’d also like to add a wicker grill, but I think it looks fine for now. I’m really happy I was able to get this upgraded before Mike retires. From what I’ve read, his retirement may be coming soon. If you’re thinking of having the Father of the IIC+ service your amp, I wouldn’t wait. It’s so worth it.

U4DCvVt.jpg

congrats... looks like a total score there. Rich and MikeB are great to work with.

So how does the SR/GEQ loop compare with the SG as far as response to the EQ adjustments. Do you feel they are comparable tonally? for example do you get the same kind of 60hz bass response at the same levels. Also where exactly did you end up setting the output level for the GEQ pedal?

Since I have an HR and run the GEQ in the loop I'm always interested in folks who run the same setup.

I think the response of the pedal is really close to the onboard EQ. The only issue I noticed was it was noticeably quieter. I had to turn the Output level to around 2:00 to match volumes. Both amps have the EVM 12L speaker and VERY similar tubes.

rarebitusa said:
congrats... looks like a total score there. Rich and MikeB are great to work with.

So how does the SR/GEQ loop compare with the SG as far as response to the EQ adjustments. Do you feel they are comparable tonally? for example do you get the same kind of 60hz bass response at the same levels. Also where exactly did you end up setting the output level for the GEQ pedal?

Since I have an HR and run the GEQ in the loop I'm always interested in folks who run the same setup.

Small, but fun update…

I found another Imbuya combo cabinet, so I took the new C+ and transplanted it. Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll find another Imbuya Thiele cabinet. It took 5 years of hard searching to get the one I have. BTW, I’d like to humbly nominate myself as having the greatest Boogie tone ever. I HAVE to record some clips for you all. I run the SG with James Hetfield’s somewhat bright “Master of Puppets” settings, and the SR with John Petrucci’s slightly dark settings. It’s loud, righteous, and ridiculous…

bqzCQCJ.jpg

Brad737 said:
Small, but fun update…

I found another Imbuya combo cabinet, so I took the new C+ and transplanted it. Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll find another Imbuya Thiele cabinet. It took 5 years of hard searching to get the one I have. BTW, I’d like to humbly nominate myself as having the greatest Boogie tone ever. I HAVE to record some clips for you all. I run the SG with James Hetfield’s some what bright “Master of Puppets” settings, and the SR with John Petrucci’s slightly dark settings. It’s loud, righteous, and ridiculous…

bqzCQCJ.jpg

Awesome stuff there!

Mike Bendinelli is close to retirement according to the gang.

Y'all get your vintage Boogies to him soon.

Just got my 92 MKIV-A back from them yesterday.

Like a new amp and sounding better than I ever remember!

Back