Did Wicker Only Come on Hardwood?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad737

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I’m the proud owner of two Boogie Mark IIs. One is in an Imbuya cabinet with wicker grill. The other is white, that’s now cream. (Were they always cream, or did these “yellow” over time?). The cream one has that lame tan grill cloth. Mine doesn’t look awful, but it does have a few picks and tears. Here’s my question. Were the wicker grills available from Boogie on Tolex cabs, or were they only used on hardwood? Of course, by now I’ve seen all different combinations of tolex color, grill cloth, etc., but I have a feeling that’s a case of owners playing “Mix & Match” to suit their taste. Does anyone know the official color combinations from Mesa in 1983?

BTW, I made a post on Facebook asking about the cost of a wicker grill. Nobody left a definitive answer, just one guy implying they cost an arm and a leg. Do any of you know the actual cost?

Thanks,
Brad

U4DCvVt.jpg

Now its definitely an option on most orders I think. I think even back in the 80s it was probably optional as well. For a wicker grill on a head its about USD50 increase to the cost of a front panel. That said, that price is on a custom order headshell, I don't know if they'd sell just the front or if the pricing would change. Every now and then wicker fronts pop up on ebay priced around 100-150.

I have two original black tolex combos with wicker grills (one a Mark IIC and the other a III Red Stripe), so I would say they came stock with a wicker grill if ordered that way.

That's a nice looking IIC you posted!

BTW, I flipped an original 83 catalog that I have and no mention of wicker option (just hardwood), but I think the amps we see in the wild confirm that wicker came on tolex.

My '79 Mark IIA is blonde with a wicker grill. Second owner, but believe it's original.

Back