Mark IV-A or IV-B

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IV-A vs IV-B vs III?

• IV-A

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • IV-B

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • III

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
So I know this has been hashed out an incredible amount but I have some very specific questions;

1. Is the difference between the RHY2 channel on the two enough to hold off until I can find a Rev. B? I have a dude lined up to sell me a Rev. A for 1,300 but the RHY2 channel is important to me too, I dont want to have an unusable channel on this amp.

Some people say the difference between the two is huge, others say it's subtle. Anyone have any A/B videos of BOTH?

Also, is the Blue Stripe III just the best of both worlds? I've heard its lacking because of no onboard EQ.

Thanks!

Hi.

I’ve no insight on Mark IV but I had Mark III blue stripe... it had GEQ - which was optional. I think most Mark IIIs are still equipped with GEQ.

The issue with Mark III vs IV is the shared controls (bass/mid/treble) for all three modes (rhythm 1,2 and lead). In Mark IV there was only two shared controls between r1/r2

I've owned both, and prefer the A for a few reasons:
- I prefer the components used in the older A version, specifically coupling caps. The B version I had used a lot of metallized film caps as opposed to orange drops, and I had to replace one or two capacitors whose leads were broken. The orange drops have a much more substantial lead, so I think they're mechanically superior.
- I think the A's R2 channel has more gain
- The reverb is better in the A. I was never able to get the reverb on the B version to sound good

Back