Mark IVB Slave and Recording Outs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfe2973

Reaction score
Hi Family. New Mark IVB owner here. My first Boogie, and I'm in love. First, thank you all for the incredible depth of knowledge on this site and this thread in particular. I've learned so much already and am getting some great tones in my first few weeks. Had the chance to rent a rehearsal space (I'm in L.A.) and opened her up as much as I could without crushing my skull. **** this baby is loud.

My question is this: In regards to the Slave output... From the manual I see this is to drive an external power amp. Is this signal only the preamp signal, and does not include the power amp section of amp? If so, can I run this output directly into an audio interface (UAD Apollo in my case) at line level, and then use IR's in my DAW? Basically a hardware preamp/software IR combo? Would love to avoid getting an OX Box or something similar. I have an attenuator (Tone King) for my live rigs, but for recording without a mic and cab I was hoping this may be possible using the slave.

Side question: Given this amp is 20+ years old, I haven't messed with the Recording output. THe manual sounds like they do a full poweramp/speaker/mic sim from this output. Anyone use this and if so, does it touch current day IR modeling? I have a Fractal and some other amp sims/IR combos, so I'm well versed in how it all works and getting tones, etc., but I was hoping for some feedback from experienced users of the IV's line out options using the slave and recording outs.

Thank you all!

Slave is a line level output off the poweramp.

If I remember correctly the record out is off the preamp. I used it often a few decades ago.

Back