Please help identify a Mark III!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exodus5

Reaction score
I found a Mark III that I am considering buying. It has Mesa Boogie LTd in the back and Mesa Boogie Mark III on the front under the power/standby switches. This leads me to believe it is a very early amp but the seller swears it has a faint red marker line over the power cable. Also, it is 60w and has the Black Shadow labeled EV. So is it correct or did someone put a marker line on there to sell it easier?

Post some clear front and back photos of it. It's almost impossible to tell more without them.

Looks like it could be black, purple or blue stripe, from how it looks in that darkened lighting. Definitely not red or green looking to me.
Could use a shot of above the power cord with a torch on it, so we can see the colour of the stripe.

The MESA BOOGIE MARK III front panel came in somewhere along the late purple stripe and the red stripe run if I'm not mistaken. Before it would have said MESA/BOOGIE for a brief period and before that MESA/Boogie Ltd. Not that this identifies it, but it should rule out the amp being a no dot/no stripe/black dot/black stripe and most likely not a purple. FWIW I haven't seen many purples with the MESA/BOOGIE MARK III or MESA/BOOGIE face plates as there are Red stripes still wearing the MESA/Boogie Ltd. face. Are there any dates on the chassis, there usually are. If not you can pull the chassis and look for dates on the caps if they haven't been replaced. In general 1985 = no dot or stripe/black dot/black stripe, 86 = purple, 87 = red, 88 blue, 89 green. Those dates aren't absolute but a good ballpark.

Disagree - it looks more like a 15000 s/n, which would make it a black stripe. There also appears to be a thin black stripe adjacent to the power cable.

I know this sounds like a gripe, but you all should learn how to photograph a serial number and bits of chassis.

Latest posts

Back