Mark IIb mod's, return on investment (i.e. second-hand going rate?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
Just curious about the second-hand market for mod'd iib's.

Mod I'm wanting to do is the fx loop

Also, are these possible?

• Pentode/Triod switch
  • "++" Mod
  • If "++" is possible, can it be made switchable? (via push/pull)

It's only the fx loop mod that I really want, just considering the others for fun and/or resale potential, if any exists. Would also do Pentode/Triode regardless if it's not too expensive

I've never heard of a ++ mod for a Mark IIB. It would be cool, I think, maybe, maybe not, hard to figure out why? There's so many high gain amps that sound great, a Mark IIB sounds great as a Mark IIB and can go to modern metal with a pedal or two. Pentode and triode? What for? I guess but, same thing, why?

The FX loop will be a good thing and increase value, the other ++ thing, would be good but I don't think it's a thing that happens. Pentode/triode would be a personal thing that would not increase the value much, if at all.

The MkIIB with Loop Mod is supposed to be gain-wise between and C+ and C++. Does one really need more gain than that? If so, probably nothing a good boost pedal can’t handle.

skelt101 said:
The MkIIB with Loop Mod is supposed to be gain-wise between and C+ and C++. Does one really need more gain than that? If so, probably nothing a good boost pedal can’t handle.

As I said, it's not for me. "++" seems to sell!

I didn't realize the loop mod added that much gain, though. Very excited to hear what it sounds like, and compare to my Red Stripe and Studio Preamp (running through the Red Stripe DRG power section). Right now, the Studio Preamp setup is getting me the best lead tone I've ever had.

Markedman said:
I've never heard of a ++ mod for a Mark IIB. It would be cool, I think, maybe, maybe not, hard to figure out why? There's so many high gain amps that sound great, a Mark IIB sounds great as a Mark IIB and can go to modern metal with a pedal or two. Pentode and triode? What for? I guess but, same thing, why?

The FX loop will be a good thing and increase value, the other ++ thing, would be good but I don't think it's a thing that happens. Pentode/triode would be a personal thing that would not increase the value much, if at all.

That all sounds logical. Pentode/triode switch would be to both reduce the output of the amp (I'm getting a 60-watt, so no other option to reduce output). Also, I'd have a slightly different tone to play around with. I've heard of many people adding this to their Mark III's, especially the green stripe.

erickompositör72 said:
I didn't realize the loop mod added that much gain, though. Very excited to hear what it sounds like, and compare to my Red Stripe and Studio Preamp (running through the Red Stripe DRG power section). Right now, the Studio Preamp setup is getting me the best lead tone I've ever had.
Check out this comparison video (if you haven’t already):
https://youtu.be/OW7Yz1FaVQE

That's my vid if you have any questions. I think my IIB+ has a little more gain than a stock IIC+. With a boost it has the gain of my old C++. The lead tone isn't as liquid as a C+, but even though the C+ technically has better tone I actually prefer the IIB rhythm tone BECAUSE it has a better bottom end and doesn't have as much mid mids nasally hump. In short it's 90% the tone & feel for 30% of the cost.

...also I agree that the mods won't really add value. I've bought & more importantly sold a lot. Most people don't even want to pay for a Mike B. service in a used price (which I disagree with).

Thanks, @GJgo - your videos were the reason I decided to pull the trigger on a IIb. Even though we're looking for different sounds out of these amps, your demos really do paint a very comprehensive picture of what the amp can do.

I must say, my new stock IIb is the most touch-sensitive amp I have ever played in my life. My father used to collect Fender Blackface's, so I've played some pretty touch sensitive amps. The fact that I can get this amount of touch-sensitivity in a high-gain lead setting ("Volume 1" on 8, "Treble" and "Lead Drive" on 9) is out-of-this-world.

Obviously, the low-end isn't very tight on the stock IIb, but that really doesn't matter for my application. Did I mention it has the best clean channel I've ever played? (including the Backface's)

My only fear is that the loop mod will even slightly diminish this touch-sensitivity or the beauty of the clean channel. But then again, I can deal with the clean channel being affected, because I'll need to buy a second IIb if I want to dial in the perfect clean sound in a performance setting. It's my impression that the mod will increase the lead gain, make that channel even more liquidy (*drool*), and tighten up the low-end.

My first Mark II was a IIC HRG. The cleans were PHENOMENAL. I had Mike upgrade it to a C+ because C+. Of course the leads got better, but the cleans lost something. In hindsight I wish I would have left it stock.

The IIB loop mod WILL axe the amazing cleans (just like the C++ mod does)- but it really improves the lead channel. There's room for one of both.

Good to know. I may keep the IIb stock and just sell off the III Red Strip DRG, StudPre, and get a IIC+. I can try A/B'ing the IIb/IIc+ for clean/lead in performance situations (for when performances start actually happening again...)

I just learned that I'm perfectly happy dialing in a saturated, high-gain lead tone I love on both the IIb and the StudPre, without using the EQ at all. A nice IIC+ S would set me back the least $, as I understand it. And, I've got a Boogie EQ on the way, in case I just need to do some minor tweaking.

For performance no one is going to know the difference. If you need three gigging channels and you want vintage, have your III modded to III+ with R2 volume. Works great. If you don't need vintage get a Mark V or JP or (my choice) DR MW for gigging & leave the babies at home!

I sold my Boogie 5 band & picked up an Empress ParaEQ & couldn't be happier. I'd take a no-EQ model and a parametric EQ any day of the week. I cannot say that about the 5 band pedal.

Is Mike B Still doing the mod to the IIB effects loop? I have an amp that could use it!
Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 7.18.34 PM.png

The first Boogie that I heard was a 2B with the FX Mod. The first one that I owned was a 1978 Mark I with the effects loop added and that mod included. It was my main amp for many years with a Boss OD-1 out front. The mod helped control the volume, and blend the tone. I liked it on mine.

Was able to get in touch with the Mesa service department and found out that Mike is indeed still doin his thing over there. So I will be sending my IIB over in September when he gets back from his vacation! I'll post back in October when I get the amp back and let y'all know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back