OK, now for preamp tubes (for Mark III)- help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
This thread was inevitable.

So, I'm looking for these very important things:

1. Clean channel sparkle & maximum headroom

2. Lead channel thick, saturated (but not compressed!), liquidy as possible, without compromising the above clean description. I do not need punch, I do not need chugging rhythm, I do not need tight bass, etc. - 100% geared towards a smooth, creamy, liquidy, rich harmonics, sweet mids, uncompressed lead tone.

The amp currently has five:
MESA
STR-12AX7-A
(EC883)

I'll be very happy if I don't need to replace all of them, but I'm willing to.

I spoke to Doug at Doug's tubes, explained what I'm looking for, and he just pointed me to one of his preamp kits. I'm sure they sound great, but want to see if there is a more nuanced selection geared to what I have detailed above.

Also, I don't even know what tube (V1, V2, etc) is in what position on the amp, and can't find a diagram anywhere. Would appreciate guidance on that, as well!

Thanks!

Hi guys a warning if you are looking for tubes This is what happened with Doug's Tubes. He gets good reviews on this site but if you google the guy he gets slammed everywhere else. Unfortunaley I found out to late
I ordered a couple of overpriced cheap vacuum tubes for an amp. I found some other choices but failed to cancel order before they got to me. They arrived with several other boxes and I opened them.
A day or so later I requested a return, he asked what the problem was. I just found better cheaper . "well if the original shipping box is open I can't take them back"
"Any way if I did take them back there is 15% restocking fee"
So situation is:
1. No returns if His box has been opened
2. 15% restocking if you meet item 1

Sounds like this guy has had some issues. The other mosts cites frequent bad tubes going out I guess he doesn't want to stand behind his products. I mean after all he will only accept a return if you Have Not inspected the merchandise.

Hi guys a warning if you are looking for tubes This is what happened with Doug's Tubes. He gets good reviews on this site but if you google the guy he gets slammed everywhere else. Unfortunaley I found out to late
I ordered a couple of overpriced cheap vacuum tubes for an amp. I found some other choices but failed to cancel order before they got to me. They arrived with several other boxes and I opened them.
A day or so later I requested a return, he asked what the problem was. I just found better cheaper . "well if the original shipping box is open I can't take them back"
So situation is:

Sounds like this guy has had some issues. The other mosts cites frequent bad tubes going out I guess he doesn't want to stand behind his products. I mean after all he will only accept a return if you Have Not inspected the merchandise.Some people like the guy but he get's slammed a lot on every forums I see. Buyer beware

So situation is:

Sounds like this guy has had some issues. The other mosts cites frequent bad tubes going out I guess he doesn't want to stand behind his products. I mean after all he will only accept a return if you Have Not inspected the merchandise.Some people like the guy but he get's slammed a lot on every forums I see. Buyer beware

Back